? with kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djm8701

Reaction score
Im about to start kegging, if I have an imperial stout that after sitting in bottles for two weeks, still needs another month would I let it sit in a keg for 6 weeks? If so do I force carbonate or use sugar? Plez help

Are you saying you bottled the beer, or is it sitting in a carboy or bucket? If your beer is bottled, you are pretty much SOL and are stuck with bottled beer.

If its in a carboy you can transfer to the keg and do 1 of 2 things:

1 - purge with CO2, prime with sugar and let it sit for a few weeks. This way, it will carbonate while its aging. There are a lot of threads here on how to use sugar in a keg. You will end up using less than if you bottled, but I can't tell you the exact amount

2 - rack to keg, purge with CO2, let it sit at room temp for aging. When done aging, put it in the kegerator, keep it hooked up to CO2 on ~12psi for a week or two until its carbonated.

I think what he is asking is about the condition time needed when kegging. If this is what you mean, the keg should not need the same length of conditioning as the bottled beer. If you are force carbing you can drink after one week. If naturally carbonating it would probably need at least two weeks in the keg before serving.

Although I said it does not need as much time, leaving it alone will make it better, however when the beer is on tap it is hard to be patient ;)

If the beer needs to age, it needs to age. It shouldn't matter what sort of vessel you keep it in.

Once it's done aging you can sugar carb and let it sit, or you can force carb it in the cooler. Both will have the same results.

I age outside of the cooler, without carbing. Mostly because like halite, I'll drink it :drunk:

There's a vendor list here:

That's a good place to start.

Otherwise, LHBS, or any of a crapton of places online. Morebeer.com, austinhomebrew.com, chicompany.net, northernbrewer come to mind...

Thank u, n to clarify I haven't brewed it yet, so no its no in bottles, I will be.brewing a Christmas ale for a Xmas in august party (not July dt the little addition to the family) and I will be buying the stuff keg soon so I just wanted to know what i was getting into with all of it

Latest posts

Back