Gravity Reading Low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burch

Reaction score
Sat. My batch went into the primary fermenter with an OG of 1.060 and was suppose to be 1.050. The FG is suppose to be 1.055. Thurs. I took a reading and got 1.030. Now I had a boil over for about 30 seconds when I was cooking my wort. Did I screw it up or should I leave it alone for a few more days ? It don`t taste bad at all just a little weak, like a light beer. This kit is an India Pale Ale.

Burch :rockin:

I don't quite understand what you are asking- could you explain to me again ( a little slower- I come from a long line of blondes :D)?

I don't believe your final gravity should be 1.055- that isn't right. The boilover isn't a problem, don't worry!

The boil over won't affect the fermentation. There's no way the FG was supposed to be 1.055. That's probably the starting gravity. 1.030 is still high. Let is sit longer.

You`re all right, sorry. The OG was 1.050-1.055 and the FG was 1.012-1.015 according to my recipe. I`ll let it sit longer. any idea when I should check it again ?

:mug:

I'd give it another week, as it seems to be fermenting a bit slowly. What's the temperature and yeast?

I think he's asking you what kind of yeast you're using.

You seem to be doing fine- try not to worry. Keep it covered and out of direct sunlight and it'll be ok. Stay in the temperature recommended on the yeast package, and the yeast should do fine.

Back