Ok Let Me Get This Straight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
Im new to kegging, just bought a 5 gal soda keg. I have a keggorator with 20lb co2 bottle and a double gauge.
So right now after 3 weeks of fermenting i can transfer beer into the keg seal it, hook up the co2 and the beer line , set it to roughly 12psi, put it in the fridge and let it sit for a week or two and i will have carbed beer? its that simple?
Im confused about leaving it at room temp, or putting it directly into a 38 deg fridge.
I am looking for the most simple fool proof way to do this.
thanks

Yes indeed. If the beer is fully fermented, rack to the keg, put it on the gas, purge a few times (you may need to up the pressure to 20-30 psi to get the lid to seal), and refrigerate. You will end up with carbonated beer, but depending upon the style it might still be green. Alternatively, if it needs more aging, you can rack to the keg and purge, then let it age at "cellar temperature." Then when it is ready, put it on the gas at 10-12 psi, refrigerate, and wait for it to carb.

+1

if you keep the beer right around 40F, and hit it with 12psi for 10-14 days it should be fully carbed, and that's also 2 weeks it will 'age' in the keg.

you'll need 6 to 8 feet of draft line to balance 12psi for a good pour.

+1

if you keep the beer right around 40F, and hit it with 12psi for 10-14 days it should be fully carbed, and that's also 2 weeks it will 'age' in the keg.

I thought beers aged slower at colder temperatures?

+1
This of course depends on the height from keg to tap, what size beer line you are running, and what temperature you are holding the beer at.

My beer is at ~40°F with 3/16ID Beer line from Micromatic set to 10-12 psi with 5ft of line.
There are charts to help with balancing a system. It's all about matching the output pressure (pressure needed to carb your beer to the level you want) to the resistance the beer has against getting out of the end faucet.

I age mine prior to putting them in the keezer. 12psi for 10-14 days at 40deg = carbonated beer!

If your beer is aged properly, you can also let it cool overnight, then hit it with 30PSI for 24-36 hours (I do not do this because it is easier to overcarb)

+1

After you fill the keg and purge the air space with CO2, you can let it age at cellar temps or put in the fridge and start the carbonation. I prefer to age some of my stronger styles for a few months. Hoppy beers I tend to drink straight away.

How much pressure you use depends on the style of beer and what level of carbonation you want and what temp it is at. 10-12 psi @ 40F is a good level for many beers but some styles are better with more carbonation and some are better with less. There are charts for figuring all that out.

shaking the keg while it is under pressure can speed up the carbonation process by mixing the gas into the beer.

I prefer a longer hose for serving, like 8-10'

Back