American Amber recipe - feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jupritch

Reaction score
I have a recipe I've come up with and would appreciate comments to see if I am going to brewing what i think I am.
please make some guesses at how this will smell taste ect.

Help is greatly appreciated. i'll reveal what I am going for after a few comments. Thanks.

5 lbs munich, 3.5 Amer2-row, 2.5 6-row, 1.0 40L crystal, 0.5 Caramunich, 0.5 Aromatic Malt
Step mash: 15min at 122, 20min at 149, 45' at 157 (or until Iodine is neg)
Hops: 10z Chinook at 60min, 0.5 Centennial at 20min, 1.0 Cent at 10 min, 1.0 Csacade dry-hpped
California ale yeast

thanks, justin

I fail to see any reason to use a step mash. You probably need something darker in the grain bill (but I have not ran the numbers.) An amber should have a initial malty-sweetness that may be lost with such a low mash temp.

I would dump the munich malt.. add some more two row.. then add more 40L and 60L crystal malt. Maybe a couple ounces of chocolate malt for color. The crystal malts are whats really gonna get you that malty sweetness your looking for in an amber.

thanks for the comments. I am definitely going for some sweet malt flavor. I also really prefer the american hops (like much of sierra nevadas stuff). Though I don't want an IPA. Just a little bitterness and a stronger aroma on the level of a craft brew plae ale/maber. Going to more crystall malt ans less munich may be the way to go.

Thanks for the replies.

I thought this would help conversion. I have only done a couple all-grain batches but had good conversion with a decoction and a 3-step mash. I thought I might need more enzymes to reduce the mash time and steps and to eliminate harsher flavors from a longer mash.

I thought this would help conversion. I have only done a couple all-grain batches but had good conversion with a decoction and a 3-step mash. I thought I might need more enzymes to reduce the mash time and steps and to eliminate harsher flavors from a longer mash.

Munich malt and two-row have plenty of diastastic power, and you don't have any adjuncts that need converting anyway. 6-row has more diastastic power than 2-row, so it's useful when you have a very adjunct heavy mash that needs more enzymes. 6-row has a "grainy" taste that I find a bit different, and wouldn't be to my liking in an amber ale.

A single infusion mash with standard two-row at 153ish would be fine.

I want a little more complex malt flavor than a typical amber. I like Manchester Brewing's Marzen, but I want some more American hops aroma and it has to be an ale. So my style description may not have been perfect. I definitiely like the idea of backing off the caramunich to get more sweetness out of a crystal 60L.

Thanks again for the comments. I don't get many shots at brewing, so i've got to make it count when I get one. Thanks - justin

Back