Yields

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveM

Reaction score
How is everyone doing for yields? I brought in a half a pound (dry weight) a few weeks ago, and the buds I left behind matured, so I just brought in another four ounces or so (again, dryied weight). There are still plenty of buds that I hope will mature - at least another quarter pound, if they grow up. This is from ONE second year Cascade. My Mount Hood gave me virtually nothing, maybe an ounce.

How long will these continue to mature? Do they stop? And is the any quality difference between late and early harvest?

Finally, has anyone brewed with them yet? I have my first batch, four ounces of Cascade plus my one of Mount Hood. It is looking good in the fermenter but still a couple of weeks from bottling. More to come.

By the way, for reference, I've found that a one gallon container, packed tightly, but not so that the dried hops get crushed equals about four ounces. This is a VERY rough rule of thumb since how tightly you pack them is going to be highly variable and pretty much impossible to quantify.

I brewed an American Amber with part of my harvest this year. Added a mixure of cascades and nugget and flameout. We'll see how she turns out.

As for yields... I got about 2lbs from my 2nd year cascades. 1-1/2 from my 2nd year nugget. About 6oz. from my first year nuggets and the same from my first year cascades. My first year Mt. Hood produced about 10 cones total so I didn't bother harvesting it.

First year grower here. I just harvested and dried my first harvest of Chinook. Wet, 7.2oz. Dry, 1.7oz. I'm still waiting on my cascade.

It'll be around a lb. from my three cascade plants that were one (split crown) last year. Four oz. from a first year sterling in the freezer, along with 1 1/2 oz. from a pretty small first year zues (very promising!). I mixed the cones from second year mount hood and hallertau plants and got a 1/4 oz. I have one first and one second year centennial and together they produced just over an ounce. The first year did better. My first year Newport, Golding, and Wilamette didn't do well due to various animal damage, but they all made progress and next year should be better.

I found a wild plant yesterday and got what should be around 8oz. off of that of some pretty good smelling hops.

My goal when I started growing last year was to be able to make a good IPA from homegrown. With the zues, cent., and cascade that should be realized this year. The sterling were actually my favorite hops as far as aroma was concerned this year.

So far I've harvested 13.5 oz cascade and 8 oz fugglings (fuggles and East Kent Goldings - threw them into the same batch cause I didn't have a large harvest of either)... next to harvest is my nuggets on Wed. I figure on 2-3 lbs dry weight for them... they went nuts this year! I'll post after they're dry

hoppick001.jpg

magnum.jpg

These are all the hops from my first year wind damaged Magnum. 7 ounces wet, although they seemed pretty dry already so not sure how far to let them sit before freezing. Smelled just like Ruination Ale, not grassy at all.

So far I've harvested 13.5 oz cascade and 8 oz fugglings (fuggles and East Kent Goldings - threw them into the same batch cause I didn't have a large harvest of either)... next to harvest is my nuggets on Wed.* I figure on 2-3 lbs dry weight for them... they went nuts this year!* I'll post after they're dry*
hoppick001.jpg
Studied this pic for a while John.* Good looking hops, proud grower....still can't find a homebrew.:cross:* If you're gonna put yourself in a picture on here no matter how damn sexy you and your hops look you better have one of your beers or a respectable substitute in your hand.Nice job:rockin:

Studied this pic for a while John.* Good looking hops, proud grower....still can't find a homebrew.:cross:* If you're gonna put yourself in a picture on here no matter how damn sexy you and your hops look you better have one of your beers or a respectable substitute in your hand.Nice job:rockin:

look closely just to the right of my elbow on the stool..... you underestimate me young man!!! :D

Back