Calling all 3 Gallon All Grain Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixtyten

Reaction score
I've been browsing the site and would love to gather some All-Grain 3 Gallon recipes in a single post. I'm looking to brew a 3 Gallon All-Grain Stout. I know I can adjust the 5 gallon recipes using software. However, it would be nice to see people post some of their successful 3 gallon recipes. I'm new to All-Grain brewing so a pre-made successful recipe would take some of the guess-work out of adjusting a 5 gallon recipe down to a 3 gallon.

Thanks

I will be starting a few 2.5 gallons starting this evening.

That said, in preparing to do 2.5 gallon batches...

Every recipe on this forum, or anywhere for this matter, "is" a 3 gallon recipe.

In all honesty download the free trial of Beersmith if you do not already own it, input a 5 gallon recipe that you like, then hit the "scale" button, type in "3" in the gallon location, and you will have all the recipes you need! It literally takes about 3 seconds to scale a recipe to 3 gallons.

That is what I have done, and how I am proceeding. Just my .02

I've got a whole library of half-batches. Here's a couple:

Difford & Tilbrook's Picadilly Bitter

A ProMash Recipe Report

08-A English Pale Ale, Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Batch Size (Gal): 2.50 Wort Size (Gal): 2.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 3.50
Anticipated OG: 1.040 Plato: 9.99
Anticipated SRM: 7.4
Anticipated IBU: 27.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
85.7 3.00 lbs. Maris Otter Great Britain 1.037 4
7.1 0.25 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
7.1 0.25 lbs. Demerara Sugar Generic 1.041 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 23.4 60 min.
0.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 3.6 20 min.
0.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 3.25
Water Qts: 4.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 1.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.23 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

------

Venin de Vipere

18-D Belgian Strong Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 3.00 Wort Size (Gal): 3.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.50
Anticipated OG: 1.080 Plato: 19.33
Anticipated SRM: 3.5
Anticipated IBU: 33.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
80.0 6.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
20.0 1.50 lbs. Candi Sugar (clear) Generic 1.046 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 28.6 60 min.
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 4.8 20 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 6.00
Water Qts: 8.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.33 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 150 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 160 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Actually...scaleing back an AG recipe is considerably less daunting than Extract. The wort gravity is going to be the same either way...so hop useage should stay the same....you can scale them proportionately.

The only thing I can think of, is that you're going to end up with a cleaner product becuase you'll be pitching more yeast per gallon...ALWAYS a good idea in my book.

Thanks for all the posts. I'm testing out Beersmith but I really appreciate the recipe posts. I'll try one of these this weekend.

Thanks again!

A word of caution when doing 1/2 batches- make sure you have a calibrated scale or be willing to have a greater variability in your bitterness and hop aroma. I've been tempted to go the 1/2 batch all grain route but if you are going to be getting a mash tun go for the full deal.
On the flip side this is a great way to make some IPAs without as significant an investment in hops.

3 gal batches got me into AG and cut my cost per batch big time. There's no way I'm boiling 6 gallons on my electric stove. Plus I don't drink more than 4 beers a week, so a new 3 gallons every few weeks is enough for me.

3 gal batches got me into AG and cut my cost per batch big time. There's no way I'm boiling 6 gallons on my electric stove. Plus I don't drink more than 4 beers a week, so a new 3 gallons every few weeks is enough for me.

Good to know I'm not the only one who wants to do small batch AG's on the stove.

I bought a 3 gal BetterBottle carboy for $17 from LHBS that I use for my secondary and I love it. I do primary ferments in my 6.5 gal bucket and can just use an airlock instead of blow-off tube because of the extra head space.

I like 3 gal batches for these reasons:

1.) I can do full boils (my pot's not big enough for 5 gal FB's)
2.) I can do full boils (I still use ice bath to cool)
3.) I can do full boils (looking to go AG soon)
4.) Perfecting recipes (after all I AM a perfectionist)
5.) Less bottles to clean/sanitize/fill/cap at one time

This thread reminds me I should get off my rump and brew up the three gallon IPA I have been planning for quite some time. Mine really will be three gallons, not 2.5, as I'll be fermenting in a corny keg with a pressure relief valve. I decided on three gallons because I want to drink it fresh when it still has all of the wonderful hop aroma and flavor.

Yes, this beer really does have that much crystal malt. The key to drying it out is to mash low and slow (75min at 150*F), and pitch plenty of yeast.

Broken Halo Clone (1st attempt), 3 gal AG
===============================

5lb 2-row (US)
.75lb Crystal 10
.75lb Crystal 20
.25lb CaraPils

.2oz Horizon 60
.2oz Columbus 60
.2oz Warrior 60
.25oz Cascade 30
.25oz Cascade 15
.5oz Columbus DH

1 pkg SafAle US-05

Mine really will be three gallons, not 2.5, as I'll be fermenting in a corny keg with a pressure relief valve.

I'll be lucky to get 2 finished gallons out of this: :eek:

3lb X-Light DME
12oz C10
12oz C20
9oz dextrose
4oz Carapils
.4oz Pacific Gem 16.3% FWH
.25oz Cascade 6% 30min
.25oz Cascade 6% 15min
.5oz Cascade 6% dry
3gm gypsum, half a Whirlfloc, 1gm nutrient
US-05
1.056, 55IBU, 6.8 SRM

My first extract+steeping grains batch. Might not be Broken Halo, but it'll be beer!

EDIT: The kraeusen on this thing is huge, about 4-5 inches.

EDIT: The finished beer is merely ok. Color is dead-on golden, head and lacing are awesome, Cascade aroma really comes through. Not much body, though, and I think I need to get rid of these Pacific Gems. They're a bit cheesy, and I think the beers I made with them suffer. I think my American wheat might have to go down the drain. Ugh.

I was reading this and was also thinking about trying another 3 gallon batch. I have been busy lately and also I am out of propane. I have some two row, but all i have in the specialty grain stash is a mystery bag with .5# of which i can't remember what the heck is in it. I think it looks like 3 dif crystals with one being real dark. Any suggestion of what I could throw together.

I posted a bunch of 2.5 gallon AG recipes here...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/785533-post702.html

how is the late summer lime thinking bout trying that one

also i went and bought one of those 2 gallon coolers, do u just use a nylon paint strainer bag for the grain bag?

I am looking forward to trying out the 2 gallon cooler, i am switching over to inside brewing due to hot weather coming. How many #'s can it handle like 6?

I have been brewing all my first attempts in 2.5 gallon batches. If I like it, I go to 5. I use Beersmith to scale recipes.

I really think you'd be doing yourself a favor to grasp that recipe ingredients really only vary by volume needed/desired... pick the beer you want to make and adjust. Getting the technique down is great, but to really get down to brewing your own beer, get to know the ingredients. Don't get hung up on quantity... it really is the least important piece of the equation IMHO.

Yep. I just take any old recipe, divide each non-yeast quantity by the number of gallons its supposed to make and then multiply times three. You don't need beersmith to do this... a cheapo calculator will suffice (or Excel if you have it). So if you see a five-gallon recipe that's supposed to have 8 lbs of 2-row, just take (8/5) x 3 = 4.8 lbs.

I use a five gallon fermenter as my primary and a three gallon as my secondary. It seems to work really well for me.

In all honesty download the free trial of Beersmith if you do not already own it, input a 5 gallon recipe that you like, then hit the "scale" button, type in "3" in the gallon location, and you will have all the recipes you need! It literally takes about 3 seconds to scale a recipe to 3 gallons.

Good advice. Plus Beersmith or a similar program will really help you grasp what ingredients and amounts of them do to color, IBU's, gravity, etc.

I brew PM 5 gal. recipes and recently started 3 gal. AG's. Having fun. Plus, with 3 gal. batches you can brew more often and try new recipes or styles more often.

Back