choosing a 2 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebstock

Reaction score
I'm trying to research how big of a difference it makes in choosing a 2 row base malt. Does using an american 2 row vs. Maris otter change the flavor? Is there any difference between the two besides the Lovibond rating? I cant find a thread discussing this. The books I have dont get detailed enough.

I think like most agricultural products, barley flavor is influenced by climate and soil. Also, variations between maltsters can influence flavors. A good way for you to learn the similarities and differences between base malts is to make a Single Malt and Single Hop (SMaSH) recipe, changing only the base grain. Then you can use that experience to help you make the best beer you can in future batches.

Worst case scenario is you make a nice series of SMaSH's, and have to drink them. :)

Look at the typical malt analysis for a description of flavor.

Also read the Weyermann Malt Analysis Sheets.

Remember there are many different varieties of 2-Row. These vary by country. Maris Otter is a 2-Row type of barley grown and malted in the UK.

Each variety has different characteristics and flavor potential.

2-Row is used to make various base malts from Pilsner, Pale and Vienna to Munich. The type (characteristics) of malt made is dependant on the malting process used. (Steeping moisture content; drying temperature and time; kiling time, temperature and moisture content.)

Is there a big difference between American 2-Row varieties and UK Maris Otter. Yes. Absolutely.

Maris Otter tastes significantly different than American 2-row. It's a different grain and its malted differently. Try an ESB for a good idea of the flavor of Maris Otter.

Thanks for the feedback. Preparing to do my first all grain soon. This group is a huge help!

Back