About to start brewing. Would love some help in Nashville.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headyyeti

Reaction score
I live in Sylvan Park and I just ordered my first equipment kit and all grain kit (both NB deluxe). I have read everything I can and watched hours of videos but would still love some help or just watch someone's brew day. If anyone is in the area and would love to help that would be awesome.

My first batch will be Hangaroo IPA.

http://www.headyyeti.com

Wow, jumping in head first eh? I always recommend starting off with extract to get your feet wet a little. I'll be brewing this weekend but i'm not in your area, but good luck to you. Happy Brewing!

Wow, jumping in head first eh? I always recommend starting off with extract to get your feet wet a little. I'll be brewing this weekend but i'm not in your area, but good luck to you. Happy Brewing!

Ha, I just figured I should go ahead and get everything before I spend it on something stupid like food or rent.

My first batch will be an extract kit.

Let us know how it goes. I am on my second extract brew and am working toward an all grain brew. Just gather courage and equipment as I go. I would like to hear what your experience is like jumping right into it.

I ordered my Kit last night. It's a Mr. Beer kit, but I can get my feet wet and brew my own beer. Maybe when I get started up good, we can share our findings and help one another. I live about 30-40 mins from Nashville.

I ordered my Kit last night. It's a Mr. Beer kit, but I can get my feet wet and brew my own beer. Maybe when I get started up good, we can share our findings and help one another. I live about 30-40 mins from Nashville.

Honestly, a Mr Beer kit isn't going to get your feet wet in brewing. There's no comparison at all. Not trying to discourage you, but 99% of homebrewers are going to recommend a real starter kit instead of a Mr Beer kit. That kit doesn't really introduce you to the processes that go down. Sure, it sorta follows how beer is made, but it's so grossly simplified that you won't feel as if you've really learned a whole lot, and the beer quality has never been good out of those kits.

The main problem is that once you've done the Mr Beer kit, you're likely to be turned off by the end product.

The Misfits of Brewing Science are getting together in Hendersonville on Saturday around 11, if interested PM me for the address.

There are a couple of brew clubs in Nashville. I belong to the Music City Brewers. Antioch Sudsuckers is another and there might be one more nearby. How did the brew go?

Been lurking for a while now...anyway, I'm in Sylyan Park too. Where are you at? I'd love to get a little more connected into the local homebrew scene.

Honestly, a Mr Beer kit isn't going to get your feet wet in brewing. There's no comparison at all. Not trying to discourage you, but 99% of homebrewers are going to recommend a real starter kit instead of a Mr Beer kit. That kit doesn't really introduce you to the processes that go down. Sure, it sorta follows how beer is made, but it's so grossly simplified that you won't feel as if you've really learned a whole lot, and the beer quality has never been good out of those kits.

The main problem is that once you've done the Mr Beer kit, you're likely to be turned off by the end product.

I have to disagree, I got my start with a Mr. Beer kit and it got me going down the path to all grain brewing. I made some decent beers and learned a lot of lessons that have paid off 10 fold. If it wasn't for the accesability of Mr. Beer, I probably would never have gotten into brewing. Their community forum also has some of the best, most friendly, and knowledgeable people I've ever meet (online)

JayDubWill said:
I have to disagree, I got my start with a Mr. Beer kit and it got me going down the path to all grain brewing. I made some decent beers and learned a lot of lessons that have paid off 10 fold. If it wasn't for the accesability of Mr. Beer, I probably would never have gotten into brewing. Their community forum also has some of the best, most friendly, and knowledgeable people I've ever meet (online)

+1 to this, Mr Beer is the same as a small Coopers kit, does it make good beer? At the time I thought so, it was better than whatever BMC I was drinking at the time. If it wasn't for Mr Beer I would not be brewing it was fun and I was looking forward to the final product. Brewing is brewing weather it's a can on your stove top or a 3 vessel decked out AG rig, in the end you have beer. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Back