Any yeast suggestions for a Belgian Imperial Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedYellow

Reaction score
I'm designing a Belgian Imperial Stout after having a Troubadour Imperial Stout (Brouwerij De Musketiers). Basically, the beer has a coffee aroma, with very low hop levels, 9% alc, and a very Guinness-like flavor and smoothness. So I need a yeast to provide the "belgian funk", almost like a slight sourness.

I considered Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison), but this beer will be so flavorful that I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of that notorious yeast. Wyeast's PC "Belgian Stout" yeast isn't currently available.

My current recipe is (3.0 gal):
6.0 lb Pale Malt-Belgium 64%
2.0 lb Barley, Flaked 21%
1.0 lb Cane/Beet Sugar 11%
0.4 lb Black Barley 4%

Hops: 35 IBU
OG: 1.084

I've done a lot of searching, but Belgian Imperial Stouts are pretty rare amongst homebrewers. :(

For funk, but I don't think sourness, perhaps try WLP670 American Farmhouse. I haven't used it myself yet, but I have a vial hopefully heading my way (my wife forgot it in a friends fridge in the states, but someone else is supposed to bring it over next week.) I'm planning to brew a Pannepot inspired Belgian dark strong based on Tall Yotie and CSI's efforts - except pitch the WLP670 for some funkiness instead of the recommended T58 yeast.

Yeah, 500 or 550 probably. 500 had no problem with my Dubbel, getting to about 8%.

If you want the fruity, estery notes go with a trappist or abbey strain. If you want more of the spicy and clove notes, go with a wit strain. None of those will really give you any sourness though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and a big shout out to Mojzis for the White Labs .pdf file. It looks like 500 or 550 would be perfect.

For the twinge of sour, I'm thinking of doing a small sour mash a couple days beforehand, that will make up 5% to 10% of the mash. Need to do some research on that.

I'm designing a Belgian Imperial Stout after having a Troubadour Imperial Stout (Brouwerij De Musketiers). Basically, the beer has a coffee aroma, with very low hop levels, 9% alc, and a very Guinness-like flavor and smoothness. So I need a yeast to provide the "belgian funk", almost like a slight sourness.

I considered Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison), but this beer will be so flavorful that I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of that notorious yeast. Wyeast's PC "Belgian Stout" yeast isn't currently available.

My current recipe is (3.0 gal):
6.0 lb Pale Malt-Belgium 64%
2.0 lb Barley, Flaked 21%
1.0 lb Cane/Beet Sugar 11%
0.4 lb Black Barley 4%

Hops: 35 IBU
OG: 1.084

I've done a lot of searching, but Belgian Imperial Stouts are pretty rare amongst homebrewers. :(

I've had this one a few times, and I'm in love with it. Saw the 750 ml bottles on sale for $3.99 and decided to pick up a few. Man... what a great brew.

Decided to try and find a recipe for it and came across this thread. Thanks for posting.

By the way, I'd go with the WLP530, myself. That's what I'm doing.

I've had this one a few times, and I'm in love with it. Saw the 750 ml bottles on sale for $3.99 and decided to pick up a few. Man... what a great brew.

Decided to try and find a recipe for it and came across this thread. Thanks for posting.

By the way, I'd go with the WLP530, myself. That's what I'm doing.
I still haven't brewed it yet, though. I tried the beer again, and I think the recipe idea I posted was way off. The beer tasted much more related to barley wine than Guinness. Here's what I'm currently thinking (5-gal):

11.0 lb pale malt (79%)
1.0 lb Flaked barley (7%)
0.5 lb Black barley (4%)
0.5 lb Special B malt (4%)
1.0 lb beet sugar (7%)

Est. OG = 1.074
Est Color = 29 SRM
Bitterness = 31 IBU

Haven't had the Troubadour, but the Rochefort strain makes a ridiculously good stout. It's not going to make for a sour beer, of course, but it's a good start for the base beer. Are you sure you want sourness? Yes, there are soured stouts, and some people like them, but I find the flavor combination (sourness with roasty bitterness) to be unpleasant.

Don't forget about 570. It's the Duvel strain. Another good choice might be the wyeast 3942. I haven't used it yet, but I've got a pack in the fridge becasue I think it's from De Dolle. Why Wyeast calls it 'Belgian Wheat', I have no idea as I'm pretty sure De Dolle doesn't make a wheat beer. They do make an export stout and are one of the best small breweries in Belgium.

If you want a fuller sour profile, think about pitching one of the bug cocktails into secondary and letting it do it's thing for a while. I'm planning on doing a stout (or something strong and dark) with the 3942 and then brett C in secondary. Shouldn't be sour, but I'm hoping it is complex and yummy.

I still haven't brewed it yet, though. I tried the beer again, and I think the recipe idea I posted was way off. The beer tasted much more related to barley wine than Guinness. Here's what I'm currently thinking (5-gal):

11.0 lb pale malt (79%)
1.0 lb Flaked barley (7%)
0.5 lb Black barley (4%)
0.5 lb Special B malt (4%)
1.0 lb beet sugar (7%)

Est. OG = 1.074
Est Color = 29 SRM
Bitterness = 31 IBU

Agreed. It's got a Barleywine or Quad feel to it. If you want to go more toward BW, I thought BW tended to have more malt than that. My BW had 26 pounds of malt.

Here's what I came up with (so far... not ready to brew it yet and it's still in flux):

12 lb Pale Ale
2 lb Flaked Barley
1 lb Caramel / Crystal 150L
1 lb CaraMunich
1 lb Belgian Candi Sugar - Dark
1 lb Flaked Wheat
4 oz Chocolate

1 oz Centennial 60 min
1 oz Kent Goldings 40 min

WLP530

OG 1.091
SRM 37.64
IBU 38.93

I agree that an OG of around 1.090 is better, since it has around 9% abv. Not sure what I was thinking there, derp.

I'll have to give your other recipe ideas more thought though. I thought my black barley would really work well in this from what I've read about it.

I agree that an OG of around 1.090 is better, since it has around 9% abv. Not sure what I was thinking there, derp.

I'll have to give your other recipe ideas more thought though. I thought my black barley would really work well in this from what I've read about it.

It will and I may end up going with some of it myself in the recipe before I brew it. :tank:

ronzorelli said:
It will and I may end up going with some of it myself in the recipe before I brew it. :tank:

I think your crystal malt is probably a good idea. But I think 2 lbs of flaked barley may be a bit high.

I have a rule of no more than 3 malts in any beer, so this one is quite a challenge.

I think your crystal malt is probably a good idea. But I think 2 lbs of flaked barley may be a bit high
You may have a point. I used 1lb in my BW and it has the right body - even with all the extra malt in it. 2lbs may be too much.

I have a rule of no more than 3 malts in any beer, so this one is quite a challenge.
I don't hold to that rule, but you're right, it's challenging to do so when you're talking about a brew like this.

Back