Let's talk about Yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanantos

Reaction score
This another one of those n00b questions that I know I could learn a lot about by searching (and I have!), but I also think the results people find in glutened beers might be a bit different than our GF beers.

So far I have only used Safale S-04 in all my beers (woohoo 4 batches :)) and it has worked well. Fast, full fermentation (mostly) and pasty flocculation.

However, the grass is always greener and I am tempted to try some other yeasts to see how they turn out. I have a few packets of Nottingham taking up space in my fridge as we speak left over from last years fall cider experiment.

All of my beers thus far have been in the IPA/Pale Ale arena, FYI.

So what yeasts have you used that you had success with and you felt matched well with your style of beer?

I've mostly used S-04, US-05, Nottingham, and I used Windsor once or twice. It's really hard to say what kind of differences they make because I've done them all in such different styles. I did use T-58 once, and plan to use it again soon. It's very mild for a "belgian" yeast, there's a bit of pepper to it but not much fruit. I also just bottled a beer done with S-23 at higher temps (my apartment has been about 74°F on average for the last couple months, which happens to be the temperature at which Stone ferments all their ales), it definitely had some strong yeast character that I'm not sure about. Probably won't try that one again, but we'll see how the finished beer tastes in 3 weeks or so. Oh, also, I have a RIS in primary with S-33, and the hydrometer samples have been encouraging. I feel like I'm pretty happy with S-04, S-33, and T-58, but I've also been thinking about harvesting some wild yeast from the plum tree outside our window. I've got a friend out here who brews with yeast harvested from his sourdough starters, and I had a taste of some of his stuff that was really good.

Thanks man. Good to have some ideas how other yeasts might work out.

I too, have mainly used S-04 and S-05. I have however, used a few white labs liquid yeasts and found those worked out well. They are technically not gluten free, but if you make a 5 gallon batch, or 5.5 to account for trub, there is less than 2ppm. Or you could rinse them to eliminate those 2ppm.

Lets see, I have used US05, Nottingham, about 7 different Wyeast strains and 3 or 4 different WL strains. I have matched the strain to the style of beer and all of them have been successful.

You can make good beer using a few dry yeasts or you can make beer with a bit more character using the proper liquid yeast for the style that you are attempting.

ChasidicCalvinist said:
I too, have mainly used S-04 and S-05. I have however, used a few white labs liquid yeasts and found those worked out well. They are technically not gluten free, but if you make a 5 gallon batch, or 5.5 to account for trub, there is less than 2ppm. Or you could rinse them to eliminate those 2ppm.

Is this the process for rinsing yeast?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Back