American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed extract recipe and btw took a gravity reading on sunday 1 week into fermentation (for the sole purpose of having a taste). Damn that's fantastic! @ 1.025 right now and i can hardly contain myself!

Yooper - Not sure if this has won any awards... but it kind of won an award!

Two modifications to your original recipe... Subbed honey malt for the amber malt. Also, I dump all the Warrior in at 60. I hop the rest according to your plan.

Haha- that's awesome.

I LOVE this beer. The combo of simcoe/amarillo is perfect for me, and I'm so glad that others have liked it as well.

I never buy honey malt- I should and give it a try. I've used aromatic malt, biscuit malt, maris otter malt, melanoidin malt, victory malt, and crystal malt in it in very small amounts, but never even thought about honey malt in it. That's a good suggestion!

Haha- that's awesome.

I LOVE this beer. The combo of simcoe/amarillo is perfect for me, and I'm so glad that others have liked it as well.

I never buy honey malt- I should and give it a try. I've used aromatic malt, biscuit malt, maris otter malt, melanoidin malt, victory malt, and crystal malt in it in very small amounts, but never even thought about honey malt in it. That's a good suggestion!

I just tried my first recipe with Honey Malt: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bbd-brewing-kabes-secret-apa-139831/. It's in the Keg, ready to dry-hop but I discovered I'm out of Amarillo (so off to the LHBS tomorrow). Smells good already! (Did the all grain version.)

Sampled from secondary last night, can't believe how dead on the hop profile is. Didn't notice the 5oz of honey malt I threw in. FG is 1.015, gonna keg Wednesday night which will be day 21. I'll put in on gas for 3 days at 20 and taste, down to 10 from there.

homebrewhaha said:

Well your brew will be around 6.1% so that's right! How was your mash temp? Too high and you'll get unfermentables giving you a high final. I'd pitch a pack of S05 if ya can, see if anything happens.

homebrewhaha said:
Extract with 1056 and my gravity after 2 weeks in primary is 1.025. I dry hopped anyway but did I mess this up?

Just noticed you didn't mash, extract. Maybe you pitched too warm killing some yeast?

Hey guys, Im pretty new to brewing and am making the extract version of this on the weekend (ingredients are on their way as we speak). I actually live 5 minutes from the Dogfish head in Gaithersburg and the 60minute is all I drink there.
I was wondering if it would be ok to dry hop this in the primary fermenter itself once the fermentation has completed (say after about 10-12 days) ? I don't have a secondary carboy yet and can actually get one if needed from my LHBS in Frederick.

Looks like a lot of you folks out there dry hopped in the primary itself. I'm gonna go the same way. Will keep ya'll posted how this turns out!! I've been so excited just thinking about brewing this one

homebrewhaha said:
Well, I pitched at 80º actually.

Dont think that's hot enough but I'd let it sit a while longer to clean up any off flavors from a hot fermentation. Maybe someone more experienced will chime in about your high FG.

sivdrinks said:
Dont think that's hot enough but I'd let it sit a while longer to clean up any off flavors from a hot fermentation. Maybe someone more experienced will chime in about your high FG.

Thanks for the help. I gave the fermentor a swirl and brought the temp up a couple degrees and now my airlock is bubbling every 90 seconds or so. Hope it's actively fermenting and I can get it down a few more points!

Looks like a lot of you folks out there dry hopped in the primary itself. I'm gonna go the same way. Will keep ya'll posted how this turns out!! I've been so excited just thinking about brewing this one

^This is how I did my batch. I let it sit in the primary for three weeks then tossed in my dry hops. I bottled after 10 days of dry hopping. Worked great for me!

^This is how I did my batch. I let it sit in the primary for three weeks then tossed in my dry hops. I bottled after 10 days of dry hopping. Worked great for me!

Thanks. Im brewing this on Sunday. Gonna be using dry Nottingham. Would 1 packet be sufficient for an OG this high?

Yes, I've been doing that lately also. I just add the hops once the beer is finished and clear, and then package the beer 5 days later.

Just checked the FG on mine after 15 days in primary. Came out to 1.012. Going to add the dry hops today and hopefully rack to the keg this weekend. Can't wait.

I have made both the extract and AG versions of this beer. The extract is bottled and almost ready, the AG was just racked/dryhopped. I made an uneducated substitution with the AG and used carared (amber malt wasn't available at LHBS) so the colour is way too light, but it tastes great. The extract version is amazing and very close to the DFH version. Thanks so much for posting these recipes!

One question though - what's with the different hop quantities between the recipes?

152-154 I believe. My attenuation isn't great, I went 152, 1.069 to 1.015. I believe Yooper said she prefered it not too dry so whatever gets you in the 1.014 range I guess.

Did the extract version on Sunday with Nottingham. Hit OG a little lower than expected @ 1.067.
No airlock bubbling even after 13 hours.

Did the extract version on Sunday with Nottingham. Hit OG a little lower than expected @ 1.067.
No airlock bubbling even after 13 hours.

Don't worry about undershooting your OG. I over estimated my pre-boil volume and ended up with closer to 6 gallons of wort (OG 1.062.) Finished at 1.014 and has turned into the best beer I've brewed so far. Did you rehydrate your Notty before pitching it? How did you aerate your wort? What was the temp of your wort when you pitched?

Don't worry about undershooting your OG. I over estimated my pre-boil volume and ended up with closer to 6 gallons of wort (OG 1.062.) Finished at 1.014 and has turned into the best beer I've brewed so far. Did you rehydrate your Notty before pitching it? How did you aerate your wort? What was the temp of your wort when you pitched?

All seems to be good now. It took a good 14-15 hours to show 'visible' signs. And now its been bubbling away happily. I did rehydrate the yeast before pitching. Aerated the wort first stirring with a paddle and then closing it up and swirling the fermenter around. However, I pitched at about 75-76 because I couldn't get it lower and dint want it to just sit there too long without pitching. After that it came down to 67 and I've managed to keep it there until now.

D_Nyholm said:
Last bottle of dfh 60 I had didn't state the abv. Same with the 120 I had.

60 is 6%, 90 is 9% and 120 is 18%. Doesnt bother me though, mine came out to be 7.1%. I was just wondering is all.

Yooper - Not sure if this has won any awards... but it kind of won an award!

Two modifications to your original recipe... Subbed honey malt for the amber malt. Also, I dump all the Warrior in at 60. I hop the rest according to your plan.

And last weekend the same batch of this (made 10 gallons, 5 for each fest) garnered 21/50, lol.

Judging... Gotta love it!!! :confused:

I'm making 10 gallons of this today, well with just a few changes.

I am out of amber malt, so I"m using Rahr two-row for the base, with .50 pound of melanoidin malt and .25 pound of victory malt instead of the amber.

I lowered the grainbill a tad, to target 1.060 for the OG so I'm using 22 pounds of the Rahr two-row. I'm using magnum for bittering, and WLP001 for the yeast strain.

Other than that, it's going to be the same. :drunk:

Brewed my third batch of this on Saturday. I just can not seem to keep any of this around. It is just too good.

image-885545608.jpg

Based on all the positive feedback, I had to try this so I gave it a shot on Monday. It was a great brewday.. The fermentor is happily bubbling away with yeast I harvested from a bottle of DFH Squall. Its my first time harvesting yeast. So far, so good! I know the yeast is mainly their carbonation yeast, but there is some of their proprietary strain too because it is unfiltered. Plus, their carbonation yeast is the one they use for their beers at and over 12% abv (at least thats the information I got).

Thank you Yooper!

So i checked my gravity on saturday (6 days in primary): 1.030. Tried shaking it up a little, got the temp up around 68-70. And i just checked it again 3 days later. Still 1.030 ... whats going on? I dont know why its not dropping now.
My OG was 1.067. I expected the nottingham to have done its job quickly but now its like not even moving.

So i checked my gravity on saturday (6 days in primary): 1.030. Tried shaking it up a little, got the temp up around 68-70. And i just checked it again 3 days later. Still 1.030 ... whats going on? I dont know why its not dropping now.
My OG was 1.067. I expected the nottingham to have done its job quickly but now its like not even moving.

It sure should have! If it's not moving in a few days, I'd try repitching, unless it as an AG batch and the mash temp might have been too high.

Pulled my first pint of this over the weekend and it is fantastic. Great flavor. Will definitely be doing this recipe again.

I'm making 10 gallons of this today, well with just a few changes.

I am out of amber malt, so I"m using Rahr two-row for the base, with .50 pound of melanoidin malt and .25 pound of victory malt instead of the amber.

I lowered the grainbill a tad, to target 1.060 for the OG so I'm using 22 pounds of the Rahr two-row. I'm using magnum for bittering, and WLP001 for the yeast strain.

Other than that, it's going to be the same. :drunk:

I admire creative brewing. :mug:

It sure should have! If it's not moving in a few days, I'd try repitching, unless it as an AG batch and the mash temp might have been too high.

It was an extract batch.. Repitch with an entire packet of Nottingham or S-05? Would I risk bottle bombs bottling at this gravity? And why would it stop?

Back