Chocolate Mint Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiestygoat

Reaction score
Now I have read many disscusions on using mint in beer but nothing has helped me completely.

I am looking for more of a mint smell not so much a taste. At least nothing that goes beyond that of a subtle taste.

I am thinking of making a mint tea letting that sit over night and than adding it into the secondary. I am figuring that would give me more an aroma rather than a taste.

What do you guys think?

I used fresh mint from my garden, and I think you're right, a more subtle approach would be better . . . Peppermint tea may work, but I would think a candy cane into the secondary would do the trick. That is what I plan to do with my surplus candy canes (if they don't get eaten first).

Totally Agree, did a Mint Chocolate stout a few months ago. Been in the bottle for 6 weeks and it has an off flavor up front from the mint. I think next time we try the brew we will use some type of peppermint candy in the fermenter to get that flavor profile.

Note: We soaked 3/4 oz mint in vodka and added to primary after it was fermented out.

Adding to the primary when?

I was doing various flavorings with one batch so I split the beer and did it in a secondary. I also dissolved them in vodka first. I was going for a lot of mint flavor so used the whole tin, but you can easily split them up for how much you want.

I was going for a lot of mint flavor so used the whole tin, but you can easily split them up for how much you want.

So as our Chocolate Mint guru...how would you describe the level of mintiness from the whole tin of Altoids? Balanced with the chocolate? A tad stronger than expected?

I'm intrigued by this combo...

So as our Chocolate Mint guru...how would you describe the level of mintiness from the whole tin of Altoids? Balanced with the chocolate? A tad stronger than expected?

I'm intrigued by this combo...

For about 2.5 gallons first taste is chocolate roast flavors of the stout then it finishes like you pop some Altoids in your mouth with a hint of the roast flavors. After 6 months the mint flavor mellowed out and was a lot more balanced and the combination really worked well, almost had the peppermint patty taste I was going for with a slight roasted taste in the background. Next time I would cut back on the Altoids and probably use 1/4 tin for 2.5 gallons so it would be more of a hint than an assault, but overall the mint taste/flavoring from the Altoids worked very well and would definitely use them again.

Not sure if anyone's tried it before but there's a recipe for a Chocolate Mint Stout in the Radical Brewing book. I've been toying with the idea of trying it but I'm not sure.

I am working on one now, going to try adding peppermint extract to my chocolate stout. I'll let you all know how it turns out...

I did one with 2 oz. of peppermint extract for a 5 gallon batch. It definitely brought out the flavor more than the smell, but it was pretty good. If I did it again, I'd try maybe 1.5 oz. of extract, but the flavor definitely mellowed with time and after several months the flavors blended nicely.

Back