Throw Away the Autosiphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After reading different siphoning approaches here and elsewhere, I came up with this. Works way easier then my autosiphon. No worrying about cleaning around the rubber o-ring that's down in the beer. In general, a lot less places for contamination to hide.

It's the air pump that came with my wife's exercise ball and it fits nicely in the second hole in the carboy cap. I throw it in the sanitizing bucket before using, but it’s probably not necessary because it never come in contact with the beer.

siphon.jpg

"so you are blowing/pumping unfiltered air into it....hmm, ill stick with my autosiphon."

Sure it blows unfiltered air into the carboy, but it's the same unfiltered air that gets sucked into the carboy as the beer level drops.

Or are you putting a filter on the small side of the carboy cap?

anoldur said:
"so you are blowing/pumping unfiltered air into it....hmm, ill stick with my autosiphon."

Sure it blows unfiltered air into the carboy, but it's the same unfiltered air that gets sucked into the carboy as the beer level drops.

Or are you putting a filter on the small side of the carboy cap?

I put a cap on the small side and an airlock in the big side. :shrug:

PS: Where's Sergeantsville?

I don't understand the purpose of the pump. It can't be because you need a lot of pressure, because you don't. If the only purpose is to avoid blowing into the carboy yourself, then buying an inline sanitary filter is a much better option - it's smaller, extremely easy to use, and it provides the added benefit of filtering all the air that goes into the carboy, for anyone who's that paranoid. I guess if you've already got the pump lying around it's better than nothing...

For ease of use, refer to this B3 instructional video:

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like some Swedish item from the first Austin Powers movie. :D

Really, honey, it's a beer siphoning helper, honest!

anoldur said:

true....i guess it comes down to that im happy with my method, you are happy with yours. Both work just fine.

Cheers

Evan. Yeah, the pump was just to avoid putting my mouth on the cap. Thanks for the video. I'm liking the filter idea. With two dogs running around the house, there's always lots of airborne goodies.

Speaking of using your mouth to siphon, was the Beer Nuts episode with the guy siphoning with his mouth and dropping the hose in the bucket already discussed? And they got 4 ½ kegs!

Eric. Sergeantsville, 45 minutes north of Philly, just off the Delaware. Anywhere near you?

anoldur said:
Eric. Sergeantsville, 45 minutes north of Philly, just off the Delaware. Anywhere near you?

Not too far. I'm in Hamilton. It'd be down 31 to 95/295. Probably 35 min or so.

Back