Barleywine kit question on Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbeavk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've ordered this kit from Northern Brewer but I did not get the yeast with it due to our heat wave and not really wanting it affected by shipping temps.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/BarleyWine.pdf

So I went to the LHBS and they didn't have the same yeast, so looking at the White Labs chart I picked the WLP001 California Ale Yeast since it was listed as one that would work for a high gravity barleywine.
WYEAST 1945 NB NEOBRITANNIA is what the kit was going to come with.

So what do you think? I still have time to get something else. :mug:

I don't know about the shipping to hot states, and if they have a work around. I was curious and did a little digging around the net.

Must be fairly new, not on any chart that I found (looked at 15 different sites).

WYEAST 1945 NB NEOBRITANNIA is Northern Brewer's proprietary Wyeast strain. It is an English Ale Strain
Good call, did you check these two out? High alcohol, and English style.
WLP025 Southwold Ale Yeast(PS/Nov-Dec)
WLP007 English Dry

Thinking about an all grain Barley Wine.

Appreciate the post, Hope it turns out well.

WLP001 is great for a barleywine. It will produce a clean and drier finish than the Wyeast strain. I generally think WLP001 will produce the best beer for any style unless you're going Belgian or specifically a British-style ale.

I recently brewed a Arrogant Bastard clone, which I think is within the Barleywine style, and used the California Ale yeast and it came out fantastic.

WLP001 will be fine, just be sure to make a big starter.

The kit calls for making a starter so I ordered a flask to use as well. Would it hurt anything to use some LME from my kit? It's mostly extract anyways or I could get some DME from the LHBS. This will be my first batch using a starter. I figured the yeast should be ok because I really like the Arrogant Bastard and it's likely that's what they used. I guess I'll find out in 6 months or so.
Thanks for the help!

I got a 2000ml flask so would that be big enough to make a 1500ml starter? I hope so. :D

The kit calls for making a starter so I ordered a flask to use as well. Would it hurt anything to use some LME from my kit? It's mostly extract anyways or I could get some DME from the LHBS. This will be my first batch using a starter. I figured the yeast should be ok because I really like the Arrogant Bastard and it's likely that's what they used. I guess I'll find out in 6 months or so.
Thanks for the help!

I got a 2000ml flask so would that be big enough to make a 1500ml starter? I hope so. :D

You can use LME from the kit, sure. Just keep in mind that you want your starter to be around 1.040 OG. I am not sure how much LME that would take in 1500 ml starter though. I always use the ration 4:1 for water:DME in my starters. It would be different for LME.

wlp 001 is great and will give you great results. I also like wyeast 1728/wlp 028 for barley wines...complements the malt while letting the hops shine.

Back