fermentation concerns??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjgreen

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of all-grain dunkelweizen currently fermenting. After pitching my yeast I had activity within 4-5 hours and was very active for about 24-30 hours (maybe moreso than what i've normally seen). After this, it has slowed quite dramatically from a bubble about every second or so to one about every 20-30 minutes. So, my concern is that typically i've seen fermentation usually last for 4-5 days then begin to slow... not after about 24-30 hours.

should I repitch the yeast or am i just being a drama-queen? any advise/insight is highly appreciated.

That sounds about how a lot of my ferments go. How big of a pitch did you use? Unless your temp dropped a lot, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Check the gravity and see where you are. I would guess you are about 3/4 of the way to finish gravity.

That sounds about how a lot of my ferments go. How big of a pitch did you use? Unless your temp dropped a lot, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Check the gravity and see where you are. I would guess you are about 3/4 of the way to finish gravity.

I have checked and it's dropped about 12 points on the refractometer (from 1.052 to now right at 1.040). I anticipate this should finish at or near 1.014-1.012 so it still has a long way to go.

Did you use a refractometer adjustment tool? Refracts are not accurate once yeast and alcohol are introduced. Check it with a hydrometer. Also, how are you managing fermentation temps?

Did you use a refractometer adjustment tool? Refracts are not accurate once yeast and alcohol are introduced. Check it with a hydrometer. Also, how are you managing fermentation temps?

I have a deep freeze with a temperature controller set to 66 degrees.
i'll try the hydrometer tomorrow and see... it is still going, but much slower..

thanks

OK, was chatting with our LHBS guy and he suggested bringing the temp up. he suggested I run a bucket of hot water, and let it sit in there for about 30-45 minutes. His thoughts were that the yeast may need a warmer temp... did as he suggested and it appears to be back on track... getting a bubble every 1-3 seconds now...

OK, was chatting with our LHBS guy and he suggested bringing the temp up. he suggested I run a bucket of hot water, and let it sit in there for about 30-45 minutes. His thoughts were that the yeast may need a warmer temp... did as he suggested and it appears to be back on track... getting a bubble every 1-3 seconds now...

i'm not doubting this worked (get the bubbles going) but shocking the yeast temperature wise is not always a good idea, they can produce off flavors. those bubbles are not the best indication of fermentation, just the most visible. i have a fermentation that gave me a 1.020 reading for 4 days straight so i just pitched more yeast and i'll take another reading this weekend to see what that did. raising the temp slowly can help, i'm not sure about hitting it with hot water.

Back