Kids Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
My son wants to learn how to brew and has been wanting to help make the beer with me . Is this ok I mean I don't wanna get in trouble for letting a Minor handle beer but it's not like he's drinking

My son (11) helps me all the time and he hates beer. He just likes the process and feeling useful, and we all know an extra pair of hands comes in helpful quite often!

"get in trouble" ?? Dude.. this is YOUR kid, right? You can legally serve him alcohol as you are his guardian, thus I would think helping out would be fine as well.

You can legally serve him alcohol as you are his guardian, thus I would think helping out would be fine as well.

You might want to check your facts. You can't LEGALLY give a minor booze, guardian or not.

I don't see any problems with the kid helping out.

My son wants to learn how to brew and has been wanting to help make the beer with me . Is this ok I mean I don't wanna get in trouble for letting a Minor handle beer but it's not like he's drinking

Realistically, the difference between brewing beer and cooking other foods doesn't happen until after you throw the yeast in it. Is it illegal for children to cook food where you live?

I wouldn't worry about it unless he was handling the final product outside of your home.

You might want to check your facts. You can't LEGALLY give a minor booze, guardian or not.

Depends on the State you live in. I think there's like 30 states that allow parents to serve their children in their own home... It was that way in South Dakota where I used to live.

Not that my parents chose to exercise that...

remember, it is not beer until it ferments, so regardless of state, you are probably fine on the creation side of it. Most states define an Alcoholic Beverage as "alcohol, or any beverage containing more than one-half of one percent of alcohol by volume, which is capable of use for beverage purposes, either alone or when diluted."

I think that having your family involved in the brewing process is a great bonding experience!

Both my kids had their first brew day within one-month of life. Now my 1.5 yo can help throw the hops in or stir my mash. I resent the movement of sheltering children. Its beer fer cryin out loud, not murder.

Also, in WI a guardian can order booze for there kid at home or out until they are 18. Once they turn 18, they are screwed until 21.

Oh thanks i did not know that I could do that. I don't wanna seem like I'm stupid or anything so thanks for the help.

my son is 9 and helps me occasionally (he gets bored at times).

we just brewed root beer together too last weekend. actually, he and a friend did all the work, i supervised. :)

my son even tries the beer i make... and honestly, he gives good honest feedback. it made me smile the other day when he tried a belgian wit i did the other day and said "yuck... sour."

he has yet to like a single fermented beer, but loves the taste of them before i pitch yeast (except for heavy IBU beers)... i'm 100% in favor of getting kids involved in brewing. it takes away the taboo and lets you spend your day with your kids and brew. works for me but your kid may vary. lol...

Back