Guess what I got today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Well, it's not brewing related.

I got an offer for a new job! I've been trying to get into this company since June, and in October they finally called me in for an interview. This morning, they called me in and made an offer.

The only disappointing part is that the money is about dead-even with what I'm currently making. But here are the upsides:

1. My commute would change from 1 hour+ each way to 5 minutes each way.
2. More growth opportunity.
3. More chances for advancement and promotion.
4. A much better chance to learn on tools far more advanced than anything I'll use in my current job.

Finally, but most importantly, it's a company that is doing something beneficial for all mankind: working to cure cancer and helping people who are fighting cancer get a higher-quality level of care. (I don't want to mention the company name because they'll immediately find this post, and I'm just not comfortable with them knowing some of the things I've posted about myself on this forum.)

But even with the money being dead-even, it's a much better opportunity. And it's 5 minutes from home!!!

To respond point by point...

1. Awesome!
2. Awesome!
3. Awesome!
4. Awesome!

Awesome!

Dude, that rocks. Great way to go into the weekend!

A short commute is a thing of beauty. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes in the quality of life.

Man, Cheese, CONGRATS! :mug:

I'm assuming you drive to work and the less you spend on fuel will make up for the cash being about even. And less time commuting equals more time for Miles. (and for brewing of course) And from the sound of things you'll be helping others AND yourself by putting yourself in a position that will help your career in the long run!

Excellent news my friend!!!

As I much as I hate to use it.... :ban:

:D

Ize

david_42 said:
A short commute is a thing of beauty. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes in the quality of life.

Yeah. Last winter when we had our worse storm, it took me 4 hours to get home from work.

With the new place, I could walk home, even in a bad storm, in under an hour (considering that I'd stop inside some stores / churches to warm up). In the summer time, I can ride my bike to work. How awesome is that? I've never worked this close to home.

Cheesefood said:
1. My commute would change from 1 hour+ each way to 5 minutes each way.

Much better than a pay raise! Congrats!

My first job after college I commuted about 50 min. each way. I promised myself I will never do that again! Can't beat 5 minutes. Riding a bike to work would be awesome. I do it now, but that's cuz I live on post. I'm hoping to do it still when I become a civilian.

Nothing beats having a job you enjoy. Hang on to it.

Cheese, listen and listen well.

I moved last year from a job to another and it was a lateral move. The new job was about 15 min further, but, i was not required to be "at the office" constantly. The work i can do i can do from home and basically from my cell phone, but the extra time at home to be with family is PRICELESS.

Take the job or i will slap you.

I'm taking the job. I don't hate my current job, but there's no chance that I'll get as much out of my current job as I will out of the new one. I work in Marketing, and this company is among the tops in almost all levels of marketing activity. It's really, really impressive. I get to do analytics for them! Yeah! Statistics Rule!

Toot said:
can you drink on the job?

Isn't it required in Marketing? Or is that just in Sales?

Oh, and congrats Cheese! I agree with the other posts that the short commute is priceless!

I went from a horrible 52 mile commute to a vicious 3 miles.

I remember the first day at the new house, I arrived home at about 4:07 and remember saying to myself; "Damn, I would just be getting on the freeway by now."

I never looked back.

Congrats bud.

Cheers,

knewshound

You said it's the same money. Hell you will save about a hundie a week in gas alone. that is a great savings right there. I had that kinda change about 2 yrs ago I went from 1hr drive to 3mins. I was spending about $40.00 every 2 days to now $20.00 a week.

I'd just like to chime in on the benefits of the new commute also, that is in itself a raise. Congrats man hope it all works out for ya.

My Mustang gets 8mpg and I fill up once a month.

I love my commute, I can do it with only 1 traffic light if I like.

Life is gooooood.

Cheers,

knewshound

Congratulations on the new job, Cheese!

I envy you. I do the same commute to Schaumburg and I want to change that in the near future. The savings in gas and, something you can’t put a price tag on – time, will be worth the move.

I remember that four hour snowstorm drive last year, too! That’s why, when the storm hit two Fridays ago, I stayed home and the spent the day in the garage brewing my Snow Day Bock!

Congrats man! I just changed jobs too. I'm not sure how much new stuff you'll be doing but I'm finding out that the saying is true: A change is as good as a rest!

Think of all the extra brew-time you'll have now!!

With a commute this short:

A. I can keep my Wrangler, even if gas gets up to $3.50 again.
B. I can meet SWMBO for lunch (and a nooner)
C. I can ride my bike or walk to work, thus helping me lose some weight.
D. I can run to LHBS on my lunch break (cancelling C)
E. I can sleep in till 7:00
F. If I leave at the same time I currently do, I'll be able to get home by 4:30 instead of 6:00.
G. Nooner! Nooners! Please, let her say yes to nooners!!!

Back