PM question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWAMPER

Reaction score
how long are the grains good for once they have been ground, do they lose any flavor after they are ground and then sit for a time ?
my local HBS grinds the grain then seals them in a air tight plastic bag, just wonder if I order more than one kit at a time and they sit till I have time to brew each will they go bad or end up just not as good as if I were to use them right away ?

they are sealed and air tight in a plastic bag after they grind them and I keep them in the basement till I get to my brew day just wonder if it's worth ordering a couple at a time

sure, I would not hesitate - I have used bags of crushed grain from an online vendor after it sat in my basement for 6 months... was just fine.

I leave my crushed grain in the paper bag from the LHBS, then put that bag into a ziplock. I suck out all the air as much as I can and then that goes in a dark spot in the fridge. I've used them after a month with no issues, but try not to go much more than a week if I can.

Store in a cool dry place. Airtight they will keep for many months. If the bags are vaccuum sealed than it's even better.

Back