Light Struck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrhammonds

Reaction score
I had a quick question about UV rays and hop oils. Can you get skunky reactions with UV rays and hops before fermentation? I brew outside and have never had a problem, but I was curious? Can skunking occur before fermentation, or is this only after fermentation (e.g., in the bottles)? Thanks!

If that was the case, we'd all have to start growing hops in the dark. I don't imagine they'd grow very well like that. :D

Edited: Nevermind, I read your post wrong. I thought you meant hop cones still on the vine. My bad.

No worries. But once the hops are isomerized into the wort, can skunking occur then? .. or after fermentation?

After fermentation, sure. That's why we advocate the dark t-shirt over the carboy, and tend to use brown beer bottles. I brew outside as well, and I've never noticed a problem with skunking during the brew, but I sure do cover up my carboy and keep my bottled beer in a dark place.

Before the boil, I think you're more worried about the hops going stale or growing mold, which is why most people vacuum seal their hops.

Back