Do you need to put holes in a foil airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WriterWriter

Reaction score
Hey all,

Like the title suggests, when using foil as an airlock, somehow I feel like the CO2 won't get out properly. So do you need to put a hole in the foil with a pin? Or does the little space around the foil do just fine? Is this secured with a rubber band?

Thanks,
-WW

Why would you want to use foil? All it does is cover (loosely) the opening. For about $3 you can buy a drilled rubber stopper of the correct size & a plastic airlock to fit it; add a wee bit of tap water & you've got a safe, reliable airlock that keeps nasties out & allows CO2 to escape. Maybe the foil will work well enough for you, personally I wouldn't risk it; I put too much time, effort & money into my wine/mead/cider to risk it. Good luck, GF.

Why would you want to use foil? All it does is cover (loosely) the opening. For about $3 you can buy a drilled rubber stopper of the correct size & a plastic airlock to fit it; add a wee bit of tap water & you've got a safe, reliable airlock that keeps nasties out & allows CO2 to escape. Maybe the foil will work well enough for you, personally I wouldn't risk it; I put too much time, effort & money into my wine/mead/cider to risk it. Good luck, GF.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/stop-putting-airlocks-your-starters-104529/

Putting a starter under airlock greatly reduces the amount of gas exchange. Without this, growth numbers are going to be greatly diminished. I use foil for all starters and primary fermentations and have never encountered an infection. I even do this in non-sterile warm rooms in my lab as seen in my avatar. If the opening of your carboy is covered, you have nothing to worry about.

image002.gif

Back