Stout onto a Kolsch cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never done such a thing, but I shouldn't think there'd be a problem. Koelsch yeast tends to fruitiness when fermented warm, but that's not out of place for a stout.

If nothing else, it's an interesting experiment!

Bob

funny you should say that BigKahuna . The stout I was thinking about racking onto the yeast cake is your Coconut/rum stout aka Pirate Stout

+1 to BOT (blow off tube) ... Kolsch plus a particularly malty wort will = BIG friggin kraeusen. I'd just make sure to try to keep it under 67˚-68˚F.

That being said... I could see it being delicious! I have some Kolsch yeast in the fridge at home, you may have given me my next big idea.

o_O Pirate stout? Link pls. Not in yr drop-down BK. :D

Oh aha. I was looking for the word "stout", which is why I shot right past it! Thanks for pointing that out dude. :)

Koelsch yeast is excellent for many stouts and porters where you want it clean. I know a guy that ferments a fantastic Baltic Porter and RIS with koelsch yeast.

TL

you're a homebrewer which means you are not limited to styles or anything else.

go for it and report back

Back