Any BJCP Judges here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I was perusing teh internetz today and read about the BJCP program for beer judging-- looks pretty awesome and a great milestone to shoot towards in my journey of beer education. Can anyone offer some insight or suggestions as I begin my literature collection?

I'm starting my studies w/ a trip the local pub w/ a copy of the BJCP Style Guidelines :mug:

I have spent the last 6 months preparing, and just wrote the exam on Saturday (fingers crossed).

Here are my essential sources of information:

- all the exam related material on the BJCP site, including the Study Guide (very helpful)
- Ray Daniels' "Designing Great Beers" (great book for styles, history, and recipe creation, including the technical aspects of the methods for calculating things like grainbills, gravity, bitterness, etc.)
- Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer's "Classic Beer Styles" - great crash course in the different styles and sample recipes (very important resource!)
- Greg Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer" - all you wanted to know (and more) on brewing techniques and the science behind brewing
- any beer guide by Michael Jackson that you can get your hand on (the BJCP style guidelines are fine, but mostly technical -- Jackson's book bring them to life and are an essential reference for describing beers)

There are lots of other materials that are helpful (e.g., John Palmer's "How to Brew", George Fix's "Principles of Brewing Science"), but the ones above were my 'go to' references. Unfortunately, I didn't have the benefit of a course so everything was self-study, which is totally possible (I hope). But it would be good to get together with some experience judges and go through beer evaluation with them (that was my weak point).

Anyways, the BJCP is a great program for promoting beer appreciation and beer evaluation skills. Highly recommended program. :mug:

FlyGuy said:
I have spent the last 6 months preparing, and just wrote the exam on Saturday (fingers crossed).

Here are my essential sources of information:

- all the exam related material on the BJCP site, including the Study Guide (very helpful)
- Ray Daniels' "Designing Great Beers" (great book for styles, history, and recipe creation, including the technical aspects of the methods for calculating things like grainbills, gravity, bitterness, etc.)
- Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer's "Classic Beer Styles" - great crash course in the different styles and sample recipes (very important resource!)
- Greg Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer" - all you wanted to know (and more) on brewing techniques and the science behind brewing
- any beer guide by Michael Jackson that you can get your hand on (the BJCP style guidelines are fine, but mostly technical -- Jackson's book bring them to life and are an essential reference for describing beers)

There are lots of other materials that are helpful (e.g., John Palmer's "How to Brew", George Fix's "Principles of Brewing Science"), but the ones above were my 'go to' references. Unfortunately, I didn't have the benefit of a course so everything was self-study, which is totally possible (I hope). But it would be good to get together with some experience judges and go through beer evaluation with them (that was my weak point).

Anyways, the BJCP is a great program for promoting beer appreciation and beer evaluation skills. Highly recommended program. :mug:

Awesome, I'm in the process of reading 'Designing Great Beers', I think 'Classic Beer Styles' is my next read-- I'm borderline-obsessed w/ Jamil right now-- Can't get enough of his show and writings.

As of tonight I have also begun going to my local beer tap w/ the BJCP style guidelines, tasting commercial examples while I read the description. Very helpful!

Let me know how everything turns out!

I am a certified, or is it certifiable judge? Same thing. I went through the process a long time ago. My number is 0075 if that is any indication!

Read, read and read. Also, sample, sample and sample. While you are at it brew, brew and brew.

You need to know your beer styles rock solid, and flaws and their sources. It is a great discipline to learn about brewing. Good luck.

I'm working towards being ready for the bjcp exam. Every day I read the guidelines for one style, and review the guidlines for ones I've already studied. Every time I go to a liqour store that has an expansive selection, I pick out at least one beer from a style I haven't tried before and one from a style I am familiar with but a brand I have never had.

EAC said:
Read, read and read. Also, sample, sample and sample. While you are at it brew, brew and brew.

Well, there is no better advice than that! The books that others suggested are great places to start.

I've enjoyed judging. The competitions and clubs that sponsor them have been a large part of homebrewing's growth, and I am more than happy to support both. Judging also has made me a better brewer by training my palate.

If you are curious about anything else, just give me a holler.

TL

Back