How to get the best hop aroma from flameout additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a hop stand with my last batch (Ruination clone), adding 2oz Centennial at flame out, stirring occasionally while keeping temperature at 190F for 30 mins, then cooling with a wort chiller.

Took a sample one week post pitch (Wyeast London ESB yeast, very fast fermenter), and the hop aroma/taste was fantastic! The aroma was especially surprising, considering I hadn't even dry hopped yet.

A note on the BYO article linked above, talking about the Rock Bottom R&B study... the book For the Love of Hops talks about the same study, and points out that 1 lb of hops (per barrel) was used in each of the four cases. So, 1 lb stand for 50 mins, 1 lb stand for 80 mins, .5 lbs for 80 and .5 lbs for dry hop, and 1 lb for dry hop.

The temperature of the stand has me very curious. Obviously a temp higher than 180 will extract IBUs compared to almost none below. But I wonder what the effects on aroma and flavor are. Flavor and aroma versus stand temperature

However, here's my question...Will this effect clarity?

This is a good question.... I pulled a hydrometer sample of my "hop-stood" IPA earlier today, and it seemed especially hazy, even after sitting in the fridge for an hour waiting for yeast to settle... but, then, the thing's only a week and a half old at this point. Anybody wanna chime in about finished beers?

Ultimately, I think it depends on exactly where on the temperature scale the cold break happens. Do the proteins "break" throughout the entire chill, or, does the magic happen in some smaller slice of the range... ideally, a little cooler than 180, so we can hop stand at a sustained temperature and still reap the benefits of a quick chill once we're done?

I brewed on a cold, windy night -- I undershot 180 with my chiller, and went from 175 all the way down to 145 during my 45-minute hop stand -- I presume this would've been horrible for the break. Next time, I'm going to try keeping it at about 180 with my burner for the duration of the stand then rapidly chilling.

Edit to say: the IPA's a bit green, but tasty, with easily-detectable citrus and evergreen hop notes, even flat, not-yet-dry-hopped, and through a stuffy nose. :ban:

Finished beers are clear with this technique. I typically use WLP001 or WLP090, 3-4 weeks in the primary, no cold crash or gelatin. I'm not saying that extra hop oils are not making it into your beer and giving minor haze contributions. But my thought is that other factors are affecting clarity on a much more substantial level. Careful racking, time, patience, and gravity being at the top of the list for having a clear beer.

The temperature of the stand has me very curious. Obviously a temp higher than 180 will extract IBUs compared to almost none below. But I wonder what the effects on aroma and flavor are. Flavor and aroma versus stand temperature

I do both. Traditional flameout addition from 212-170 F, with a quick chill. Followed by a slow cooling, post-boil 160-60 F hopstand during the course of 20-60 minutes. You will get the best hop character you ever had in an AIPA with a huge focus on flameout, hopstand, and dryhop.

I do both. Traditional flameout addition from 212-170 F, with a quick chill. Followed by a slow cooling, post-boil 160-60 F hopstand during the course of 20-60 minutes. You will get the best hop character you ever had in an AIPA with a huge focus on flameout, hopstand, and dryhop.

What ratio do you use? FO_hot - FO_cold - Dry Hop? I'm making an IPA this weekend and I had planned on 1 ounce traditional bittering, 3 oz FO (under 180) and 3 oz DH.

Depends on the OG and overall recipe design/desires.

For something fairly intoxicating with a clean grist and dry finish at roughly 1.070 OG at 5.5 gallons:

1- Add the majority of your desired IBUs early
2- Perhaps a supplemental middle addition to round the bitterness and offer a different character (optional)
3- About 2 oz. at flameout + another 2 oz. at warm hopstand (or 4 oz. at warm hopstand with no direct flameout)
4- Dryhop at rate of 0.8 to 1.0 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer

With a direct flameout addition, the wort is above 200 F. If you add hops at this point, they are no longer violently boiling away the delicate hop oils, but they are still extracting IBUs all the way down to about 175 F.

You have the option to bitter slightly less early on and gain more IBUs from a long direct flameout whirlpool... Or, you could bitter as intended early on and simply toss all of your aroma hops in when the wort is about 165 F, all the way down to pitch temps during a slow cool.

The reason I am shying away from 20-5 minute additions altogether has to do with being a chef and realizing more and more that when you add delicate herbs with a ton of aromatic oils during these time frames, you are just boiling away the character and flavor. Best to add them as late as possible for better quality of flavoraroma.

I really like your post, Bob. Here's what I'm planning on doing with my next batch (1-gallon IPA):

Cascade- 0.30 oz @ 60 min.
Cascade- 0.10 oz @ flameout
Amarillo- 0.10 oz @ flameout

Cool wort to 170 in an ice bath.
Remove from ice bath and add:

Cascade- 0.30 oz
Amarillo- 0.30 oz

Stir and cover with sanitized kettle lid and let steep for 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes, put back into ice bath and cool down to 70 degrees and pitch my yeast.

After FG is reached, dry hopping with .30 oz Cascade and .30 oz of Amarillo.

What are your thoughts on this schedule?

If you're wondering, I'm using 2 lb 2-Row, .2 lb Vienna, .1 lb Carapils, and .1 lb Crystal 60L.

My SG is 1.061 and my FG is 1.017
Using S-05
Mashing at 150

Thoughts?

Jeff, I'm no pro on 1-gallon batches, but here goes...

1- Mash your grain. Do not simply steep it.
2- Reduce the mash time and boil time to 40 minutes each.
3- Start with roughly 1.7 gallons of total wort for the boil (after the mash) depending on your boiloff rate

Shoot for about 60 IBUs.

0.50 oz. Cascade 45 min
0.25 oz. Cascade warm 20 min post-boil hopstand (or 0.15 oz. each at direct flameout and warm hopstand)
0.25 oz. Amarillo warm 20 min post-boil hopstand (or 0.15 oz. each at direct flameout and warm hopstand)
0.50 oz. Cascade 5-7 day dryhop
0.50 oz. Amarillo 5-7 day dryhop

Cool to 60 degrees, oxygenate well, and pitch your yeast.

Your FG should be 1.014, possibly lower if you follow those steps, mash at 150, pitch enough cells of US-05, ferment in the low to mid 60s, raising slightly after the first week and a half to 68 F for the dryhop. I would ferment this in a 1.5 gallon container, to avoid the need for a blowoff tube. Afterward, you can rack to a 1 gallon secondary and add the pellet dryhops.

Is there a rule of thumb for the utilization percent of IBUs in a stand at around 190? Makes me wonder if I could get all of my IBUs from the stand if I throw in enough ;)

Is there a rule of thumb for the utilization percent of IBUs in a stand at around 190? Makes me wonder if I could get all of my IBUs from the stand if I throw in enough ;)

The short answer to your question is "no." There is no rule of thumb for bitterness calculations for post flameout additions (or even late boil additions that sit around without a quick post flameout temperature reduction).

For beers that receive a large amount of their hop schedule at the end of or after the boil, IBUs are going to be an unhelpful calculation for how bitter the beer is perceived to be. Bitterness comes from isomerized alpha-acids as we all know, and for those who practice heavy 0 minute and hop stand/whirlpool additions can attest to, isomerization of alpha acids occurs post flameout, even though the equations in the software we all use do not factor for it. In addition to iso-alpha acids, bitterness also comes from humulinones and polyphenols, and potentially other hop and non-hop derived compounds in the beer.

I think this is a great aspect of brewing beer. It falls between an art and a science - it's more of a discipline - and there is a lot of room for creative expression based on variations in practices and equipment.

Just wanted to let everyone know who may be reading this thread that I HIGHLY recommend this technique. See my post #126 in this thread. I followed exactly this hope schedule and I just pitched my yeast. I tasted the hydrometer sample and it way more of a hop kick then I've ever had on any of my past IPA's. The bitterness was wonderful, and while it was sweet (like wort is) it had an underlying hop bitterness. I can't wait till this ferments down and I dry hop the heck out of it. I really think this technique is something I'll use every time moving forward.

Just wanted to let everyone know who may be reading this thread that I HIGHLY recommend this technique. See my post #126 in this thread. I followed exactly this hope schedule and I just pitched my yeast. I tasted the hydrometer sample and it way more of a hop kick then I've ever had on any of my past IPA's. The bitterness was wonderful, and while it was sweet (like wort is) it had an underlying hop bitterness. I can't wait till this ferments down and I dry hop the heck out of it. I really think this technique is something I'll use every time moving forward.

Please report back once it's finished up. I also tried a similar technique and have an IPA in the fermenter currently. Only hop additions were at 60, 30, and a huge flameout addition when the wort dropped below 150. Planning on dryhopping the hell out of it, too.

Please report back once it's finished up. I also tried a similar technique and have an IPA in the fermenter currently. Only hop additions were at 60, 30, and a huge flameout addition when the wort dropped below 150. Planning on dryhopping the hell out of it, too.

Will do. She's fermenting now. I'll probably take a gravity reading in about 8 more days, whereupon I will sample and let everyone know my results thusfar.

I did a FWH, 15, 5,0 and chilled below 170 and threw another 2 oz in my 10g batch. Needless to say everyone floated my keg within 20 days of kegging. To add in comp. my feed back was the hops were not pronounced enough. 40 IBU calculated for a pale.

I will add that of 4 entries, 2 got some metals, and neither were the Pale. Yet amongst my friends, that was the killed the fastest.

I noticed a fairly dense "dry hop" haze from this method, w/o dryhopping. although others say they did not notice a haze from this method

Quick update on my 45-minute hop-stood IPA .... it's super chill-hazy.

I chilled to 175, chucked in 1.5 oz of a Citra/Cascade combo, and stood for 45 minutes, in which time, it got down to about 140.

In order to isolate the effects of the hop stand, I set aside a half-gallon of the beer in a clear glass growler, and, in the two weeks since I racked out of primary, it had been clearing up nicely; I could clearly see my hand through the beer, etc. That is, until I threw it in the fridge for a couple days of cold-crashing, at which point, it became hazier than it was when I racked it, and has stayed that way for about 48 hours now.

I hopefully bottle today; I'll let y'all know how it tastes at the end of the month!

(Quick edit, just to say, all my hydrometer samples have smelled and tasted great; this is shaping up to be my best IPA. My only issue with this technique is cosmetic, and I'm optimistic that the cosmetic issue is fixable)

I follow some variation of this schedule for my IPAs:

Quick-Chill: Directly after boil down to 170 F during the course of 15 minutes, followed by...

Hopstand: 165-58 F whirlpool, slow-chill during the course of 45-60 minutes. Let the bagged hopstand hops drip and then give the bag a gentle squeeze. Remove and discard the bagged hopstand hops.

Primary: 10-24 days at 60-66 F, rising slowly as the days increase.
Secondary (or Primary): 7-14 days @ 66-68 F. Add the dryhop during the last 7-10 days.
Bottles: 2.5 weeks at 68-72 F.
Refrigerator: 1-2 weeks promotes clearing and refines flavor with little to no negative impact on aroma.

My IPAs are usually hazy directly after bottling. However, give them a week or two in the refrigerator and they are crystal clear.

I do not typically rack to secondary, cold crash, or use gelatin either. I simply filter/bag my hops, use whirlfloc, and let gravity and patience do the work for me.

I made an IPA this past weekend.

Using the Zombie Dust malt bill, I added .5 oz each of Chinook, Amaraillo, Simcoe, and Citra above 180 for 30 minutes and then the same amounts for 30 more under 180 (I think it was 165). I didn't add any bittering hops. I'm going to dry hop with the same hops, but I might be flexible when I taste it on dry hop. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

TheHairyHop said:

AFAIK I have heard three brewers discuss this. Matt from Firestone, the brewer from Pizza Port Carlsbad, and Jamil, all on Jamil's radio show. The consensus seemed to be a 30 minute hop stand at flameout temps gave about the equivalent of a 20 minute boil addition. Jamil discusses how on developing one of his Heretic recipes he overshot his IBU's per the recipe which was confirmed by a lab with just a flameout steep and no other additions.

I usually do a 30 minute steep at flameout and punch it in the calculator as a 20 minute addition. My flavor aroma has been decidedly "better" since I have been doing this. The bittering has also been pleasant. I usually brew an APA this way. My last beer the wort was down to 190 after thirty minutes. Then I rapidly chill. I cover with foil during the stand. The beers come out clear btw and I usually secondary but sometimes only for a few days or so.

NewDecadeBrewery said:
AFAIK I have heard three brewers discuss this. Matt from Firestone, the brewer from Pizza Port Carlsbad, and Jamil, all on Jamil's radio show. The consensus seemed to be a 30 minute hop stand at flameout temps gave about the equivalent of a 20 minute boil addition. Jamil discusses how on developing one of his Heretic recipes he overshot his IBU's per the recipe which was confirmed by a lab with just a flameout steep and no other additions.

I usually do a 30 minute steep at flameout and punch it in the calculator as a 20 minute addition. My flavor aroma has been decidedly "better" since I have been doing this. The bittering has also been pleasant. I usually brew an APA this way. My last beer the wort was down to 190 after thirty minutes. Then I rapidly chill. I cover with foil during the stand. The beers come out clear btw and I usually secondary but sometimes only for a few days or so.

This is interesting. My last APA seemed a little too bitter even though I didn't use a lot of bittering hops but had a huge FO addition. Looks like I have some more experimenting to do.

Interesting discussion.

I want to do an experiment with a ~1.050 APA and *only* add hops with a hop stand at flameout. No hops added during the boil at all.

I believe you can never have enoug flavour/aroma (the whole point of the experiment) but I don't want to overdo the bitterness.

I plan on add the hops immediately at flameout (212F) and then steeping for ~80 minutes with the lid off to allow the wort to start cool somewhat, then chill fast with a CFC.

I'm confused which estimate to use: Assume the IBUs is like 10% of a regular 60 min boil? Or assume it's like a 20 min addition? The estimates vary by a factor of 5:

(1) Assuming 10% of 60 min boil: 24 IBU
(2) Assuming 20 minute addition: 132 IBU

24 IBU would probably be ok (given the massive flavour/aroma which I'm going after) but if 132 IBU is more accurate then it's way too high and I need to cut the hops to 1/4 the original amount or possibly cool the wort first before adding the flameout hops. (?)

This'll be a 12 gallon batch (post boil) and probably a full pound of hops (Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Citra). Then dry hopped with 2 oz.

Looking for opinions. Thanks!

Kal

Interesting discussion.

I want to do an experiment with a ~1.050 APA and *only* add hops with a hop stand at flameout. No hops added during the boil at all.

I believe you can never have enoug flavour/aroma (the whole point of the experiment) but I don't want to overdo the bitterness.

I plan on add the hops immediately at flameout (212F) and then steeping for ~80 minutes with the lid off to allow the wort to start cool somewhat, then chill fast with a CFC.

I'm confused which estimate to use: Assume the IBUs is like 10% of a regular 60 min boil? Or assume it's like a 20 min addition? The estimates vary by a factor of 5:

24 IBU would probably be ok (given the massive flavour/aroma which I'm going after) but if 132 IBU is more accurate then it's way too high and I need to cut the hops to 1/4 the original amount or possibly cool the wort first before adding the flameout hops. (?)

This'll be a 12 gallon batch (post boil) and probably a full pound of hops (Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Citra). Then dry hopped with 2 oz.

Kal

I'm thinking if you want to add a full pound it shouldn't be done when isomerization is still possible

I'm all for experiments, so if you do this as you describe, I'd be interesting in hearing back about the results.

I have never steeped for 80 minutes with a 0 minute addition, but I have made beers with only a combination of post boil additions (0 minute, whirlpool and dry hops), and I can confidently say that those beers have all of the bitterness needed to satisfy a hop-craved palate. Just the sheer volume of hops being used will add enough polyphenols (tannins) to contribute a considerable amount of non-IBU bitterness. Even though lab equipment would measure a low iso-alpha acid (IBU) content, a sensory panel would rate the beer higher in terms of bitterness and astringency.

Each brewing system is different, but it would be worth knowing how long your hops are steeping at a temperature in which the the alpha acids are being isomerized and the essential oils are volatilizing. If it takes 40 minutes for your boil kettle to drop under 180 degrees, you very well may have volatilized the majority of essential oils in the hops. Still an interesting experiment, but maybe not what you are targeting for this beer? If you want to achieve isomerization, I would add at 0 minutes; if you are looking for essential oil extraction (but not volatilization), I would bring the temperature down to 180 before steeping, or break up your post boil additions into 0 minute and sub-180 degree aroma steep additions.

One other point to note, your dry hop addition is quite small (0.20 oz/gal). Is that because you are primarily interested in knowing what a 0 minute addition contributes in terms of aroma, or is it something else? You mention that you want a massive aroma in this beer. If so, I'd consider substantially upping your dry hop addition. You might not be happy with the aroma achieved at a rate of 0.20 oz/gal.

Thanks for the comments. My "gut" reaction is to reduce the wort to 180F before adding hop stand hops. I don't want too much bitterness but do want an abundance of flavour/aroma.

One other point to note, your dry hop addition is quite small (0.20 oz/gal). Is that because you are primarily interested in knowing what a 0 minute addition contributes in terms of aroma, or is it something else? You mention that you want a massive aroma in this beer. If so, I'd consider substantially upping your dry hop addition. You might not be happy with the aroma achieved at a rate of 0.20 oz/gal.
Good point. It probably needs to go up. I'm going by what I typically use for dry hopping an APA (about 1 oz per 5-6 gallons). I think it probably best to play it bit by ear and see how the beer turns out after fermentation. Dry hopping's a whole separate issue...

Kal

tried this technique once with an IPL using normal late additions and then a nice big 30min hopstand once the wort cooled below 160° - really noticed a brighter and longer lasting flavor/aroma

brewing a galaxy APA this weekend and trying no additions during the actual boil

.75oz FWH
1oz flameout - 30min stand
1oz 30min hop stand when wort is around 160°
1.25oz dryhop in keg

brewing a galaxy APA this weekend and trying no additions during the actual boil

.75oz FWH
1oz flameout - 30min stand
1oz 30min hop stand when wort is around 160°
1.25oz dryhop in keg
Please do post back and let us know how it goes and what the resultant beer tastes like.

What your post boil size on this? 5 gallons?

Kal

I'm going to brew a 2.5 gal IPA tomorrow and for experiment sake ill do no boil hops and just use 1oz each of Simcoe/Citra at Flame out for 30 min and also dry hop the same amount.

Just an update on this brew (see post #126).

1 gallon batch
Cascade- 0.30 oz @ 60 min.
Cascade- 0.10 oz @ flameout
Amarillo- 0.10 oz @ flameout

Cool wort to 170 in an ice bath.
Remove from ice bath and add:

Cascade- 0.30 oz
Amarillo- 0.30 ozI

achieved FG tonight and racked to a secondary to add my dry hops. I took a little sample and it had a GREAT hop bitterness and aroma (before I even added the dryhops). I'm going to dryhop for 7 days, then bottle. Will continue to update as I move forward.

kal said:
Interesting discussion.

Kal

Kal, there was a Basic Brewing podcast where a guy did a similar experiment. He added ~2 lbs of Nelson Sauvin hops to a ~5 gallon batch all at the end of the boil with no other additions. The beer ended up testing at 80 IBU. He called it "Full Nelson". It sounded delicious! You might search for that episode before you try it.

Kal, there was a Basic Brewing podcast where a guy did a similar experiment. He added ~2 lbs of Nelson Sauvin hops to a ~5 gallon batch all at the end of the boil with no other additions. The beer ended up testing at 80 IBU. He called it "Full Nelson". It sounded delicious! You might search for that episode before you try it.
Cool. Thanks for posting. I'll try to find it. Need to know if he cooled a bit first and how long he steeped for. Nelson Sauvin's a fairly high AA% hop. If it was directly after boil (no cooling) and a long steep I'm surprised it didn't come out higher than 80 IBU though I suppose that's up near the supposed max measured (saturation) amount of ~100 IBU.

Do you remember roughly when it was broadcast? A recent one maybe or a few years ago? I'm looking through a bunch of them now and there are quite a few. My "Google-foo" isn't strong this morning. ;)

EDIT: Found it. It's here:

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2012

April 12, 2012 - Hop Bursting IBU Test
Home Brewer Kim Odland from Norway brewed a beer with an enormous amount of hops added at the end of the boil. Brad Sturgeon from Monmouth College puts it through his lab to look at its IBUs.

Kal

First off, this is an excellent thread! Thanks to all who have contributed! I intend to try this on my next batch, which will be a CDA/ABA/Black IPA using a single hop (Nelson Sauvin) for flavor/aroma, and Magnum for bittering.

There's a lot of back and forth going on in this thread, though, so I'd like to clarify the general procedure:

1. Add the normal amount of bittering hops for the usual 60 minutes of boil time.
2. Skip the 20/10/5/etc. hop additions completely.
3. After flameout, chill wort down to 180F then add 0.5 oz to 1 oz per gallon of hops for flavor/aroma and steep for 30-45 minutes.
4. Resume rapid cooling of wort down to pitching temp and pitch yeast.
5. Optional: dry-hop with 0.5 oz to 1 oz per gallon for 3-7 days after fermentation completes.

Nelson Sauvin is $3/oz at my LHBS... so, that's nearly $100 worth of hops... Adding this much hops at flameout seems a bit wasteful, given that isomerization of alpha acids effectively ceases around 180-175F and that the flavor/aroma components of the hops effectively boil off above this temperature range. So you get much less utilization of the alpha acids and boil off much of the flavor/aroma compounds to boot. Sounds like a lose-lose to me, or am I missing something?

First off, this is an excellent thread! Thanks to all who have contributed! I intend to try this on my next batch, which will be a CDA/ABA/Black IPA using a single hop (Nelson Sauvin) for flavor/aroma, and Magnum for bittering.

There's a lot of back and forth going on in this thread, though, so I'd like to clarify the general procedure:

1. Add the normal amount of bittering hops for the usual 60 minutes of boil time.
2. Skip the 20/10/5/etc. hop additions completely.
3. After flameout, chill wort down to 180F then add 0.5 oz to 1 oz per gallon of hops for flavor/aroma and steep for 30-45 minutes.
4. Resume rapid cooling of wort down to pitching temp and pitch yeast.
5. Optional: dry-hop with 0.5 oz to 1 oz per gallon for 3-7 days after fermentation completes.

Nelson Sauvin is $3/oz at my LHBS... so, that's nearly $100 worth of hops... Adding this much hops at flameout seems a bit wasteful, given that isomerization of alpha acids effectively ceases around 180-175F and that the flavor/aroma components of the hops effectively boil off above this temperature range. So you get much less utilization of the alpha acids and boil off much of the flavor/aroma compounds to boot. Sounds like a lose-lose to me, or am I missing something?

My take on all this and could be wrong is if you go with the all FO and no boil hops you should add the FO hops right after you turn off the heat and that will allow some bitterness to come through along with tons of flavor and aroma.

If you cool down to 180 or less you may not have enough bitterness to counter all that flavor and aroma but you may perceive some bitterness just because of the mass amount of hops used.

If you listen to the podcast there's mention that he got the hops for free. Nelson Sauvin's hard to get now. I wouldn't use it myself. Other hops are sometimes dirt cheap.

Kal

For instance, one guy adds his flameout hops, turns off the heat and lets the hops steep covered for an hour before starting to chill. He claims this gives the best aroma and routinely does this with his IPA's and IIPA's - using 3-4oz flameout additions. The other guy (professional brewer) starts his whirlpool after cutting the heat, adds his hop additions and continues to whirlpool for about 40 min, before starting to cool the wort. He also says this gives more hop aroma than adding the hops during the whirlpool and cooling quickly.

I thoght DMS might be a problem since it is my understanding it continues to be created as long as the wort is hot...

Of course depending on the style it might be covered up...

I cool mine as quick as possible,,, and you can always "Dry-Hop">

DPB

Boil hard to get rid the precursors to DMS. If using any large amount of pils malt, boil 90 instead of 60 as it has more to get rid of (true for any beer) ... If in doubt, boil a minimum of 90 for everything.

According to a study, a long wort stand is ok if you have a strong vigorous 90 min boil. See here:

http://518124.cache1.evolutionhosti...tions/2009/RDRM-BBB-ATRM1-Advanced Topics.pdf

(See the first slide on page 7 - this is the slide show by Kristen England on the subject of Hop Stands presentation he gave at some AHA thing... it was determined 80 min + dry hopping = maximum flavour and aroma).

This info's also mentioned on page 201 of the new "For the love of Hops" book. The book doesn't have the nifty graphs that this presentation does however.

Kal

I thoght DMS might be a problem since it is my understanding it continues to be created as long as the wort is hot...

Of course depending on the style it might be covered up...

I cool mine as quick as possible,,, and you can always "Dry-Hop">

If you boil hard most of the precursors are gone anyway.

But an easy solution is to chill quickly down to 160/170ish, then do your flameout hops.

My experience may differ from others. I recently brewed up Jamil's Dirty Water Brown with Centennial hops as a substitute for Amarillo. Here's a version of the recipe: http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/27191/dirty-water-brown-ale

Changes: Removed bittering hops entirely to isolate any bittering of the hopstand. FO hops added after my wort cooled to ~170-180F (which took 15 minutes without forcing it). I let it stand 30 minutes, then chilled.

Result: Wonderful aromas during the fermentation. Not much flavor in the wort because of the sweetness obviously. Some bitterness there but obviously missing the bittering hops I omitted. Finished beer before carbonation? Very little aroma, some flavor, almost a juicy fruit and floral (remember flavor is derived in part from aroma). After carbonation the aromas I experienced during fermentation never re-emerged and the flavor of the hops are mitigated by the grains in a brown ale.

Granted, we are talking about ~2.5 oz/5gal of late hops in a brown ale. May not be the perfect base to try this on but I was expecting a bit more. Centennial could be argued as being somewhat mild compared to stronger newer varieties (Citra, etc). However it seemed to me the late 180F hops provided little to no bitterness (okay) but the flavor/aroma of a much smaller addition (say 1oz or less). In essence I think I wasted some degree of hops.

My thoughts for next time is that I need some exposure to hotter wort, whether it is a 0-5 minute addition with a sufficiently long stand after FO to see if the flavor/aroma sticks around. Some essential chemistry with the wort and resulting activity with yeast was missing, I felt.

I recently had a similar experience to 14thstreet (above) on an IPA I brewed using a hop stand (aroma steep). After flameout, I chilled to 170 and added my steeping hops (~2oz mix of centennial, columbus, amarillo) and let steep for 30 minutes. Finished chilling and fermented. The fermentation smells coming from the airlock were AMAZING - I was super pleased. After fermentation completed in 4-5 days, I pulled a sample for gravity and taste testing. The hop flavors and aromas after 4-5 days of primary fermentation was MUCH greater than I expected or had ever experienced - I was super pleased with the steep - there was still a huge hop presence in smell and taste. I left this batch for another 1 week at low 60s, then crash cooled for 3-4 days. After crashing, I transferred to keg and pulled another sample for gravity and tasting. At this point the hop juiciness presence was basically gone - there was a little aroma and flavor left but very little. Naturally I dry hopped this IPA and it came out wonderful, but had some of that 4-5 day hop presence stuck around this brew would have been amazing.

My initial response to this method was super favorable.
My final response was less enthusiastic; but I WILL try again :D

Below is the recipe I'm going to brew later today. There's a full pound of hops added after boil at two times during the hop stand. Then dry hopped. It's part of a local APA competition we're having and I figured I'd try something completely different/new. According to Beer Tools Pro, my bitterness should be 0 IBU. ;)

-------------

Electric Hop Stand Pale Ale (batch #154)
10-A American Pale Ale
Author: Kal Wallner

Size: 12.0 gal @ 68 °F
Original Gravity: 1.052 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 7.53 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.46% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: No friggin' idea

Ingredients:
17.5 lb (89.7%) Standard 2-Row - added during mash
1 lb (5.1%) Caramunich® TYPE III (56.85L) - added during mash
1 lb (5.1%) Carapils®/Carafoam® (2.05L) - added during mash (I normally wouldn't use any with some crytal already in the recipe but the competition rules require it)
1 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
2.5 oz (12.8%) Centennial (11.1%) - added end boil
1 oz (5.1%) Cascade (6.0%) - added end boil
1 oz (5.1%) Chinook (11.4%) - added end boil
1 oz (5.1%) Citra (11.1%) - added end boil
5 oz (25.6%) Centennial (11.1%) - added +30 m into hop stand
1.5 oz (7.7%) Cascade (6.0%) - added +30 m into hop stand
2 oz (10.3%) Chinook (11.4%) - added +30 m into hop stand
2 oz (10.3%) Citra (11.1%) - added +30 m into hop stand
12 g Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05 (fermenter #1)
WYeast 1056 American Ale slurry (fermenter #2)
1 oz (5.1%) Centennial (11.1%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
0.5 oz (2.6%) Cascade (6.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz (5.1%) Chinook (11.4%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 oz (5.1%) Citra (11.1%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Notes:
19.5 lbs of grain. 1.25 qt/lb mash thickness.
Single infusion mash @ 150F for 90 minutes.
Sparge with 168F water for 1-2 hrs.
Boil for 90 mins.
Adding first hops at flameout (0 mins). Whirlpool by gently stirring every ~10 mins. Lid off.
Drop temp to 170F and add +30 min hops. Steep for 80 mins total then chill.
Aerate well (60 seconds with Fizz-X). Hydrate dry yeast for 30-60 mins until frothy prior to pitching.
Ferment at 68F. Dry hop for 7-10 days in secondary.

-----------------

The competition calls for an APA (not an IPA) so my only concern really is over-bittering. I want it to taste around 40 IBU in terms of bitterness, but to be over the top in terms of flavour/aroma.

I'm *hoping* (hopping? ;)) the bitterness won't be over the top.

If I assume hop stand bitterness is 10% utilization and that only the 0 min flameout hops introduce bitterness (and not those steeped at 170F) then I get 32 IBU. The 170F hops will certainly give some bitterness so probably around 40 IBU total (?). Just about right for an APA.

If I assume that hop stand bitterness is like a 20 min addition like some say (and again assume that those steeped at 170F give no IBUs) then I get 54IBU. The 170F hops will certainly give some bitterness so probably close to 60 IBU total (?). Too high for an APA.

I guess it depends who I believe.

If it wasn't for the competition I'd probably just make it an AIPA and bump up the malt to get to ~7% ABV.

We'll see! If it turns out too bitter, I'll wait a few months or just blend it with some IPA.

Kal

Kal I am VERY MUCH looking forward to the results of this experiment! Thanks for doing that! Brave of you to do a full 12 gallon experiment with all that hops!

Klaus

Back