Wyeast issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dejones408

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here and need a bit of help. I bought a wheat kit today and mistakenly left the damn Wyeast pack in the kit on the shelf at room temperature for about 7 hours. Do you think the yeast is dead or still viable?

Thanks a bunch.

DJ

dejones408 said:
Hey guys I'm new here and need a bit of help. I bought a wheat kit today and mistakenly left the damn Wyeast pack in the kit on the shelf at room temperature for about 7 hours. Do you think the yeast is dead or still viable?

Thanks a bunch.

DJ

No worries. As long as your room temp isn't something like 110 degrees. :D

Welcome to HBT, Dejones408 !

when do you plan on making the kit? You will want to smack that yeast a day or two early anyway.
As your skills grow, you might smack it three days early, pitch it into a starter, and REALLY have a big-ass pile of yeast to pitch !!!

Awesome! I thought I'd have to toss it. I'll smack it today and just plan on brewing on we'd. A starter might be a good idea too. I appreciate your feedback.

Think about what temp you're fermenting...pretty darn close to room temp. Yeast does just fine at room temp :)

Awesome! I thought I'd have to toss it. I'll smack it today and just plan on brewing on we'd. A starter might be a good idea too. I appreciate your feedback.

I would not smack it today if you're brewing on Wednesday. I keep mine in the fridge until I start brew day if I'm not making a starter. Smack it 3-4 hours before pitching and it's good to go. I wouldn't do it much before that.

I would not smack it today if you're brewing on Wednesday. I keep mine in the fridge until I start brew day if I'm not making a starter. Smack it 3-4 hours before pitching and it's good to go. I wouldn't do it much before that.

You must be using very young/fresh packs of Wyeast. Most of my Wyeast packs that I get take 24-48 hours to swell up.

If the package is not swollen, I would suspect a very high underpitch rate.

MC

You must be using very young/fresh packs of Wyeast. Most of my Wyeast packs that I get take 24-48 hours to swell up.

If the package is not swollen, I would suspect a very high underpitch rate.

MC

My packs are usually no more than 45 days old, and I have never not had them swollen on me. I make starters now anyways for anything over 1.040, but I've never had a problem with them not swelling.

I keep mine in the fridge until I start brew day if I'm not making a starter. Smack it 3-4 hours before pitching and it's good to go. I wouldn't do it much before that.
i believe that it is recommended that the pack be brought up to room temp before smacking. not a big deal if you don't, tho.

Back