Foamy Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BockBurner

Reaction score
I know there have been a few of these threads, but had a question I couldn't find on them.
On this Wit that I charged the keg on a couple days ago, I am getting solid foam out of the tower tap. Almost whipped cream consistency foam. I'm seeing very few bubbles on my beer line. It looks like a nicely colored wit coming through, but at the tap its all fine foam. Charged it for 24 hours at 40 psi. Blew off the excess, gassed it up to 10 psi, and tested a glass, but its no bueno.
Do I just need to let it continue to rest?
Thanks

JB

Charged it for 24 hours at 40 psi. Blew off the excess, gassed it up to 10 psi, and tested a glass, but its no bueno.

That's why. You can try to turn off the gas and pull the pressure relief valve often, to lower the carb level, and see if it gets better in the next few days. It's really hard to start at 40 psi and have it not overcarb, and it'd be even worse if the keg was shaken while trying to quick carb it. It almost never works right.

Better to start at 10-12 psi, and let it sit in the fridge until carbed up.

I agree with Yooper... sounds like you over-carbed. I use the set and forget method most of the time, but in the event one needs to be rushed, I force carb at 30 psi and shake for 4 min., vent, then hook up at the regular 10-12 psi. Usually carbs it in a day or two that way.

If you have to have it now, you could also just pull the gas connect off and whenever you want a pint, just use that to substitute the venting process. When it gets to the point the carb level is just right, hook it back up at 10-12.

How long is the beer line? My beer line is about 3 ft long. My tank is at about 2-4 PSI and has a nice flow and leaves a nice head. If I put mine at 10-12 PSI, I would have pure foam.

How long is the beer line? My beer line is about 3 ft long. My tank is at about 2-4 PSI and has a nice flow and leaves a nice head. If I put mine at 10-12 PSI, I would have pure foam.

That's a good point. In order to have a nice pour at the proper pressure (12 psi in my system), the system needs to be balanced. 8' lines work great for the most part, but I recently went with all 10' lines for all taps.

I just finished up a keg of Hefeweizen following the same protocol and it was perfect, but this one is a pain for some reason.
My CO2 and Beer lines are both about 4 feet. I de-pressurized the keg down to 4/5 PSI and its settling down a bit. Probably another couple days and it'll be where it needs to be. Thanks for the info.

BockBurner said:
I just finished up a keg of Hefeweizen following the same protocol and it was perfect, but this one is a pain for some reason.
My CO2 and Beer lines are both about 4 feet. I de-pressurized the keg down to 4/5 PSI and its settling down a bit. Probably another couple days and it'll be where it needs to be. Thanks for the info.

Cool, I like it around 2-3, 5 is too high. You probably have the same picnic tap I do.

As is almost always the case in homebrew, a little patience went a long way. Coming out of the tap just fine now. A little slow, but perfect carbonation level and perfect head. Dang tasty brew, too. Thanks folks.

I ended up buying this last night, my wife wanted her fridge back.

image-907895715.jpg

Back