CO2 Tank Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuenro02

Reaction score
Since I have started kegging my homebrew I have had nothing but problems. This time I went downstairs to check the temp in the fridge and I see my co2 gauge is on zero. It's empty! How? This is my first beer in the keg and its been in for about a month or so. How long does a normal tank last? It's a 10 lb tank. This may sound stupid but I do leave the tank on and open the whole time not shut it off when its good and carbonated... right:confused:?

Yep. You've gotta leak. Been there done that. Time for some strategic testing. How is you setup configured? Regulator config, number and types of kegs, types of taps... Give us something to work with.

If I had a leak wouldn't I be able to hear it? Even if it's just the slightest of leaks.

Slow leaks make no audible sound, unless you jack the pressure way up. I've been dealing with leaks for awhile, but think I have it fixed finally.

Turn up the pressure to 30 or so, and squirt everything with soapy water to look for leaks.

Start with the keg that seems to be where most leaks are. Hook up a fresh tank and pour some star san on the top, at the relief valve and along the seal. You will see bubbles if it is leaking then continue down the line spraying star san and looking for bubbles.

Put some Star San in a little spray bottle and spray down every connection point. It won't be a mess like soap and it will show you any leaks you may have. Cranking up the pressure while testing isn't a bad idea either.

Back