Shiner Beer (Spoetzl Brewery)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARBQ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know they had a few bombs in the past, IE Smokehaus and Holiday Cheer, but latley they have been coming out with some good beers. I used to consider them the local non-BMC to buy at the gas station. Did they get a new brewmaster or something?

Some of the latest I have loved:

Dortmunder - Wow this one is really good. So good in fact I went to a block party a few weeks ago and met a guy that had his cooler full with it too. Amesome hop/malt balance.

Blonde Light - I know light is a curse word around here, but they came out with a light version of their Blonde. It is 99 calories and originally I bought it for the SWMBO, but couldnt stop drinking it mostly for drinkability with a good taste. Good non-BMC to consider when serving other non-beer enthusiasts.

Wheat 102 - Whoa what a mouthful of wheat flavor. Ive only had a six so far and still trying to process the experience.

Shiner 101 Czech Pilsner - Super drinkability and great aftertaste with the Saaz hops. These dont last long in my fridge.

Kosmos Reverve - This one isnt so new, but is a favorite when I can find it.

I don't know about them having a new brew master (other than the 2005 change), but Shiner was always one of my go-to beers when I lived in San Antonio. Of course, that was before I started brewing, but I still pick up a 6-er of Shiner Bock or Blonde (all I can get in Alaska) from time to time.

I basically subscribe to the theory that one should support their local brewers as much as possible (or YOURSELF!!!) so now I mostly live on Midnight Sun or one of the small local breweries. However, I do agree that Shiner is a great alternative for your BMC-loving company.

I just picked up their NEW one tonight. Shiner Ruby Redbird. It has ginger and grapefruit in it. I will let you guys know how it is tomorrow. My pallet has been shot by Saint Arnolds DR11 this evening.

the Holiday Cheer is pretty roundly despised on here but I really love it. Dangerously good - its like a six pack of candy.

I heard when the cheer first came out it was bad. I had some last year and the first half of the beer was all over the place, but then it kind of grew on me. I did not buy any more though.

Is the Dortmunder the Shiner Frost from last year?

And I'm a huge fan of the Shiner 101. It's a go-to beer when I'm looking for something lighter.

So, Ruby Redbird. . . . .

Hmmm . . . .

Sooo, I can't really taste the grapefruit. Its there, but not THERE. (If they had used a grapefruity hop, it would have came through more) The ginger is there for sure, but not over the top. More like a gingerale. Not a huge malt backbone. You could easily drink a 6 pack of these at a bar-b-q. While I am not complaining that I bought this, I am not sure if I will get them again. I just want more of the grapefruit . . . .

Is the Dortmunder the Shiner Frost from last year?

And I'm a huge fan of the Shiner 101. It's a go-to beer when I'm looking for something lighter.

I dont think I had the Frost so i cant tell you. Frost says it was a dortmunder though. They are probably a bit different I would guess.

I cant drink the Ruby Red! Aghh on cholesterol medicine and that is the one thing I cant eat is grapefruit.

I had to pour that Ruby Red out. It's just my opinion but ginger has no place near beer unless you're drinking one while eating asian cuisine.

I thought it was good for a "real" ginger beer. I do not really like the flavor of ginger in beverages but it is an interesting take from a beer perspective. Would not buy it again otherwise though. I feel that way about alot of Shiner......

I like the 102 but I am not interested in trying that ruby red nonsense.

I liked the smokehaus, I like cheer, I like the black and regular Shiner is fine (I am serving it at my wedding at the end of the month) as is Shiner Frost. I could take or leave the rest.

So, Ruby Redbird. . . . . Sooo, I can't really taste the grapefruit. Its there, but not THERE. (If they had used a grapefruity hop, it would have came through more) You could easily drink a 6 pack of these at a bar-b-q.

Bingo. the grapefruit taste in it was weaker than expected. But I imagine they toyed with the recipe a few times before deciding they found the best amount of grapefruit flavor to impart. maybe more and it might have tasted like shizer (instead of shiner- DRUMROLL!)
and yes had it this sunday at a cook out at the brother in laws. was perfect beer for setting outside by the pool. we finished them off in about 30 mins

Shiner was always one of my go-to beers when I lived in San Antonio. Of course, that was before I started brewing, but I still pick up a 6-er of Shiner Bock or Blonde (all I can get in Alaska) from time to time.
WHY would you move from San Antonio to alaska?...

As a Texan, I always try and support local brews, but some of Shiner's beers I can't get behind. Ruby Redbird was one. Just too light bodied and blah for my taste. I love the Black Lager, 101, 102, and Bock though. Smokehaus was good too imo. Lately Real Ale, Independence, and Circle Brewery have caught my palate's attention though. I have never had the Kosmos though I hear rave reviews from friends on it.

So, Ruby Redbird. . . . .

Hmmm . . . .

Sooo, I can't really taste the grapefruit. Its there, but not THERE. (If they had used a grapefruity hop, it would have came through more) The ginger is there for sure, but not over the top. More like a gingerale. Not a huge malt backbone. You could easily drink a 6 pack of these at a bar-b-q. While I am not complaining that I bought this, I am not sure if I will get them again. I just want more of the grapefruit . . . .

The Ruby Red was great. It is a seasonal and now it's pretty much gone here. It was definately a thirst quincher! St. Arnolds came out with some really bad what ever one time only beers that I paid way to much for and most of it went down the drain including my monet.

The Cheer of 2009 was not good, the '10 model was awesome. I drank up three six packs. It was a huge hit at a November tailgate.

Ruby Redbird is great I think. It is not a big brew, but just what it should be as a summer beer.

What I like about Shiners seasonals are that they are not so over the top that an average beer drinker cannot enjoy them.

every time a new one comes out I get it. the Ruby was the only one i did not care for. I liked the 98 ALOT as well as the 99. The Bock will always be a fallback but I enjoy most of thier stuff. The tour is fun too!

I'm a big fan of Shiner as well. The 2010 cheer is actually a huge favorite of mine. Never tried the 2009. Also, my buddies and I love the smokehouse on a hot day. The blonde and the bock are good as well. Not sure why the cheer has taken such a beating. I found it to be the best winter seasonal I've ever had.

I didn't like the ruby red - too much ginger.

I think cheer is a nice departure from the usual holiday beers that are full of spices (no hating on them). I can see how some people would be turned off by it though.

I love their Smokehaus, and wish some would come out this year. That is my favorite brew that they make.

And their Blonde is always welcome in my place. And like a bunch of others here I really liked the Dortmunder.

-Eric

Shiner is a solid, available beer that is better than miller/coors/inbev options, i like their anniversary series, the Alt, and blonde, but there are better beers.

godofcheese that is a good word to describe it, toastier.

I wish Shiner made a pale bock. I cant find anybody that does that I can buy commercially.

I tried there reunion variety 6 pack not too long ago. It included the following: Hefewiezen, brewers pride, kosmos reserve, bock, black lager, and blonde.

Of the six, I enjoyed Hefewiezen(though not really a true hefeweizen), kosmos reserve and brewers pride.

yeah brewers pride and kosmos are some of my favorite.

I've been guilty of swapping the other varieties out to make a six pack of my two favorites :)

the Holiday Cheer is pretty roundly despised on here but I really love it. Dangerously good - its like a six pack of candy.

Why is it that my two favorite Shiner brews(Cheer, Ruby Redbird:rockin:) are so despised on the web, but me and everyone I know LOVES them?!:confused:

FYI- desperately on the prowl for a clone recipe, or experienced insight on how one would be made...

I like Cheer but I didn't try Ruby Redbird because I'm not much of a grapefruit fan.

I took the tour (which is a waste) around winter the first year Cheer was released so they bragged a little about how it's made. According to the tour guide it's a dunkelweizen (which I assume is a dunkelweizen grain bill but fermented with a neutral strain similar to their hefeweizen) and then they add peaches and roasted pecans that were home roasted by the head brewer's wife at their house (I'm not sure if that's true or marketing).

hmmmm, that is definitely useful insight, and surely where i will start..... THANKS!

a neutral strain so as to allow the peaches and pecans to dominate the complexity of flavors??

...yeah, that sounds like the tall tale of how it was first invented, i doubt she does all that crap in her kitchen, other than maybe the first time....

It was the first year and production was limited so it could be true. I know it was everywhere around Austin but we had a hard time finding it in Dallas. Now it's everywhere.

Cheer, like Shiner's dunkelweizen and hefeweizen are all fermented with a neutral strain in that Amercan "hefeweizen" style like Widmer's hefeweizen. It doesn't have the clove and banana flavors, it's basically just wheat flavor. Cheer definitely wants neutral yeast flavor for the peaches and pecans.

So like a S-05 perhaps?

So based on that, im thinking slowly roast and crush pecans and add then to the wort at pitching
then make a fresh peach slurry/syrup and add late in the secondary or at bottling or even sub for priming sugar, or do you think they need longer brewing time?
/or dark brown, or caramelized sugar for priming

how does this sound?

*edit, on second thought, i think adding roasted pecans to the mash is a better idea
ive read that the nut oil kills the head, and that some people blanch them to remove most of the oils, but i think that would remove the roasted flavor as well... so im thinking roast, then straight to the mash

I've been guilty of swapping the other varieties out to make a six pack of my two favorites :)

lmao..Always wanted to that with variety packs, but never had the balls to do it.

I've just recently discovered that little tactic. But I only do it at Wal-mart really on the 2 or 3 beers they carry I'll buy. Switch out a few diff bottles of Shiner or New belgium to get a variety. It's not stealing. as long as they're all the same price I'm paying for it!

Why is it that my two favorite Shiner brews( Ruby Redbird:rockin:) are so despised on the web, but me and everyone I know LOVES them?!:confused:
beer snobs? I don't know, I love it. i've found there is a very distinct line for that beer online. love it or hate it. I think people in Texas who live in April-October summers can more appreciate it's refreshing qualities than northerners or ale nerds.

yeah brewers pride and kosmos are some of my favorite.

I can't believe I've never thought about this. I didn't really care for the 102 wheat at all. The Bock is decent but I really liked the black lager.

I just moved to TX and I tried a sampler of Real Ale recently too. The brown ale had a sherry/booze flavor and smell that I didn't like at all. I tried the Rio Blanco next, and it had a similar, but not as strong taste and smell. Maybe my palate needed a cleansing, but I didn't care for it. The Rye was drinkable, but overall I'm not impressed with Real Ale. I had a pint of the Fireman #4 at a bar for $6!!! and felt robbed.

Back