Multi-day brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTDoug

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried mashing & sparging on one day and doing the boil a day later? It seems like it could be a bad idea, but if you could do that you could get stuck at work until 7, come home and make the wort, and the next evening do the boil.

If no one has tried it, I'll do a "controlled experiment" and try it with some DME. I know it won't be exactly the same, but it will be close.

Prost!
Doug

homebrewer_99 said:
Nah, but I racked 2 brews to secondaries, bottled 1 brew, and brewed a brew on one day...not again.;)

makes me tired just reading that!

I bottled a brew and brewed another in 1 day and that was pretty hardcore

I have tried this, but the batch is still in the secondary so I don't know how the beer tastes or anything, but there were no apparant problems. There are a couple of threads in the All Grain forum that discuss the possible drawbacks of doing this such as wort souring because of some sort of bacteria, but it seems as though it is unlikely to have a negative effect.

Your best bet is to mash one evening and mash-out before quitting for the day. The idea is to keep the temperature above 120F, so the extra heat is good.

Cool, I looked around for a while but not the AG forum specifically so I'll have to go check it out. I ask because I just did my first outdoor batch with my new keggle, but the apartment complex has no hose and the elevator was broken so cleaning a new keggle, mashing and sparging with a pot with no spout, moving a half full keggle up and down the stairs and cleaning everything in the tub was quite exhausting. To any non-brewing spouses parusing this board, A-G brewing with a keggle definitely counts as exercise when you don't have a 3-tiered system, so encourage your man/woman!

Back