Do I need separate brewing equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uoducktales

Reaction score
It turns out my beer loving wife has celiac disease so I was planning on brewing a GF beer. Will I need a separate brew system for the GF version - boil pot, hoses ect? I'm new to this so any info would be great, thanks!

as long as you are cleaning the equipment after you brew, i don't see why you would need any separate equipment for GF beers.

It depends on how sensitive the people are and how well you sanitize. Yes, it's generally safer to have separate dedicated equipment thats strictly gluten free, to avoid any possibility of cross contiminants. Some people are sensitive enough that using the same surfaces are a problem. Some people are not that sensitive and even the 2ppm limit is fine for them.

I do both and I use the same fermenters but a different boil kettle and mash tun, but don't feel I really need to if I cleaned well. I also have separate tubing for transfers and stuff. Anything soft like plastic and you will want it to be separate. Anything stainless steel or glass should be fine as long as you clean it well.

I do use the same plastic bottling wand, auto-siphon, and wine thief for both GF and non-GF beers. If it isn't plastic I don't worry about it that much. I only use glass carboys anyway. I do use different rubber tube for GF and non-GF beers. My wife doesn't seem to react (she's the one with celiac). I do clean the snot out of my stuff.

i use all seperate equipment. If you choose to share equipment, i would make sure to wash everything before anything dries to allow hardened resedue.

Back