My New 15 gal Fermenter - Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
Really I will probably only do 10 gal batchs in it but it is 15 gals in size.

This is a 15 gal food grade container with a screw on lid that has an O-ring in the lid. I believe they are used to transport baking soda or some such by the guy I bought it from.

IMAG0238.jpg

Sitting next to a standard 6.5 gallon bucket:

IMAG0239.jpg

Nice handles though I am not sure how they would handle 10 - 12 gallons worth of weight:

IMAG0240.jpg

I drilled the hole and put the grommet in for the airlock/blowoff tube:

IMAG0241.jpg

You can see the O-ring in the lid, I believe this is airtight when screwed shut:

IMAG0242.jpg

Inside view:

IMAG0243.jpg

I figure it would take a long time to syphon 10 gals so I installed a spout:

IMAG0244.jpg

I filled it up with gallons of water and marked 5, 10, and 12 gallons on the side:

IMAG0245.jpg

Filled with 15 gallons is right to the bottom of the threads. Not sure I would ever put 15 gallons in it but good to know I can:

IMAG0246.jpg

Now the part I need help with. While I was filling it with water I got to thinking that since it is airtight it would be cool if I could PUSH the beer out into the kegs using CO2. Like they do with some of the conicals I have seen.

Since when it is full of 10 gallons of beer it's gonna be REAL heavy and lifting it up onto something to gravity feed the kegs is gonna suck. If I can push the beer out using CO2 it would make life a whole lot better. So what I was wondering is if there is some sort of fitting the will screw into a corny keg post? That way I just hook up a gas disconnect to it and a hose on the spout to push the beer out.

I have spare kegs so I could steal a post or buy one online eventually. But what sort of fitting would screw into it and using o-rings or rubber washers between them and the lid give me an airtight seal???? I would just put it where the o-ring for an airlock is now like so:

IMAG0249.jpg

Use a "gutted" disconnect and attach a hose for a blow off tube.

Help? Ideas?

I am going to the "fittings" place in town now that has all the different stuff like this to see if I can find something that works but in case I can't any help would be appreciated.

what sort of fitting would screw into it and using o-rings or rubber washers between them and the lid give me an airtight seal????

The crummy part of this plan is that the keg post uses an odd size, 19/32". You can buy adapters from http://www.midwestsupplies.com or http://www.chicompany.net/

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/cornelius-plug-adapter-1-4-mpt.html

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1146&zenid=07576c187a8695ed9bb4d5923070d41d

This adapter will get you to 1/4"MPT which is a common size. Then you would also need a gutted disconnect and post (remove poppet). So, yes, it could be done.

If you're draining out the bottom, you could just use a barbed fitting to connect the gas tube through the grommet hole. Much cheaper, but lacks the bling factor.

Tell me about it I spent the day looking and nothing "normal" fits. I found a less "elegant" solution. But the total cost will be about $5 for it as opposed to the $8 - $11 for the adapters you posted. And I don't have to use a disconnect.

Not as "blingy" but will work just as well.

I will post pics when I get it put together.

The crummy part of this plan is that the keg post uses an odd size, 19/32". You can buy adapters from http://www.midwestsupplies.com or http://www.chicompany.net/

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/cornelius-plug-adapter-1-4-mpt.html

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1146&zenid=07576c187a8695ed9bb4d5923070d41d

This adapter will get you to 1/4"MPT which is a common size. Then you would also need a gutted disconnect and post (remove poppet). So, yes, it could be done.

If you're draining out the bottom, you could just use a barbed fitting to connect the gas tube through the grommet hole. Much cheaper, but lacks the bling factor.

I use a hole saw to cut a larger hole in the lid of my buckets that I use for fermentors.

I use a drilled rubber stopper with an airlock. There are 2 advantages over the grommet you have in the lid...

1 - I can use a thief to take a sample, by just pulling the stopper and don't have to remove the lid.

2 - When ready to rack, I have another stopper (I bought a solid stopper to start with), with 2 holes in it. One hole fits snuggly on a stainless racking cane, the other I put a barbed to MFL adapter in and hook it to the co2 regulator. Then I just hold the stopper in place to transfer with co2 pressure. I don't want anything that seals too well for fear of over pressurizing the bucket or better bottle, or glass carboy.

Ed

I could see how that would work but I think I have come up with a little more elegant solution. Costs about the same too.

I use a hole saw to cut a larger hole in the lid of my buckets that I use for fermentors.

I use a drilled rubber stopper with an airlock. There are 2 advantages over the grommet you have in the lid...

1 - I can use a thief to take a sample, by just pulling the stopper and don't have to remove the lid.

2 - When ready to rack, I have another stopper (I bought a solid stopper to start with), with 2 holes in it. One hole fits snuggly on a stainless racking cane, the other I put a barbed to MFL adapter in and hook it to the co2 regulator. Then I just hold the stopper in place to transfer with co2 pressure. I don't want anything that seals too well for fear of over pressurizing the bucket or better bottle, or glass carboy.

Ed

Ok after like 2 hrs at the hardware store and Lowes this is all I could come up with.

Nothing and I mean nothing fit the corny post.

So I was looking at a hose barb fitting. PITA with those is the threads are "pipe threads" which means standard or any other nuts won't fit them.

What I wanted to do was make something that was like a spigot assembly but with a barbed fitting on the end.

So I can't remember exactly but this is a 1/4" hose barb, a 1/2" to 1/4" coupling, two rubber washers, a big steel washer, and 1/2" pvc coupler.

Me and the guy working at the hardware store tried mutiple versions of all kinds of sh$t trying to make something work. Finally this is what we had:

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

Basically I needed a 1/4" hose barb with some way to sandwich it and some rubber washers on the lid to make it airtight. No super blingy but functional.

Tommorow if I have time I will throw some water in and hook it up see if it pumps out uneventfully ;)

If you change the barb to an MFL fitting, you can thread a co2 line (assuming you use MFL disconnects) right on there without screwing with the barb.

So, from my earlier reply, you got #2 (a way to pressurize the fermentor), but missed a bit on #1 (an easy way to get a sample without taking the lid off) ;)

is that just a spigot from a bottling bucket? Do you suck much yeast or trub up using it?

also, do you think you could age a sour ale in these? Would it be ok to leave a beer in them for a year or two. I know o2 will leak through the plastic, but for a sour ale, that is not a bad thing.

Yes.

No I don't think it will it is up quite high because I had to install it above the curve in the bottom. I am sure all the trub will be left behind and I may have to tilt the fermenter slightly to get the few useful pints out.

I don't see why long term fermenting would be a problem it is a food safe plastic vessel used for long term storage of stuff.

Interesting idea. Mine are the smaller 10gal size but they are also HDPE food grade. I'm using Tap a Draft kegs at the moment and don't really plan to buy kegs. I sold those after my first bout of home brewing back in the 90s. But what the heck, I may buy cornies again some day.
DSC_0046.jpg

you would not happen to have the dimensions of that 15 gallon ones, do you? Want to see if two will fit in my fermentation fridge

heard back from General Container, they are 39.55 each + shipping form Somerset NJ. 100$ minimun. Not bad if you can pick up locally for new ones. The two I got from Doug did have a smell to them. I soaked them with Oxiclean and it still had the smell, I am lettign them sit with the top off and see if it goes away. Going to try Beere Brite or PBW next.

heard back from General Container, they are 39.55 each + shipping form Somerset NJ. 100$ minimun. Not bad if you can pick up locally for new ones. The two I got from Doug did have a smell to them. I soaked them with Oxiclean and it still had the smell, I am lettign them sit with the top off and see if it goes away. Going to try Beere Brite or PBW next.

Mine smell the same. I wonder what was in them. I didn't ask him. I used one for a primary of blackberry wine and it still has the odor. Makes me wonder if I can get rid of the smell. :mad:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you do with 10 gallons of beer? Also, this looks like a spectacular MLT. Thoughts?

Ah ok, I thought maybe you were putting it into two cornys, but wasn't sure.

How about using this as an MLT?

So one of mine I soaked overnight with 1 tsp of oxiclean per 14.5 gallons of water, no smell, the one I soaked for 4 hours, smell. So I think I am just going to resoak the one overnight. I just used oxiclean versatile from BJ's.

Interesting idea for MLT, let me check what grade or number the plastic is and what temps it can handle.

Happy New Years

Does anyone see a problem with fermenting a 5 gallon batch in one of these red top 15 gallon containers? There's a lot of headspace and I'm concerned about too much O2 hanging out in there... I considered putting an IPA into one yesterday, but put it into my glass carboy instead...the bigger container is certainly a lot easier to work with, and rack from, but i'd prefer not to contaminate my beer.

I received one of these last week and let it soak for a few days to make sure it was clean. I have 12 gallons in it that I brewed yesterday. The handles seem kind of flimsy (as mentioned earlier) but have held up nicely for carrying 12 gallons. I think I am going to make some sort of strap carrier for it so I don't mess it up in the long run. Overall it was a great price for a 15 gal fermenter. Now I have extra fermenting room!!!!!!

I received one of these last week and let it soak for a few days to make sure it was clean. I have 12 gallons in it that I brewed yesterday. The handles seem kind of flimsy (as mentioned earlier) but have held up nicely for carrying 12 gallons. I think I am going to make some sort of strap carrier for it so I don't mess it up in the long run. Overall it was a great price for a 15 gal fermenter. Now I have extra fermenting room!!!!!!

How much are these now?

the yeasties will create their own layer of co2 which will lay lower than the air thus blanketing your beer. you could ferment 5 gallons in a 100 gallon container and be just fine.

-=jason=-

the yeasties will create their own layer of co2 which will lay lower than the air thus blanketing your beer. you could ferment 5 gallons in a 100 gallon container and be just fine.

-=jason=-

+1, the CO2 produced fermenting a 1.050 beer is on the order of hundreds of liters IIRC. Over-sized fermenters are fine for primary, only concern would be racking 5 gallons of beer to this for secondary/conditioning. Wouldn't do that.

+1, the CO2 produced fermenting a 1.050 beer is on the order of hundreds of liters IIRC. Over-sized fermenters are fine for primary, only concern would be racking 5 gallons of beer to this for secondary/conditioning. Wouldn't do that.

Glad you mentioned that! That was something I was thinking and you confirmed it. I'll be moving my current IPA from glass carboy to a second glass carboy tomorrow... :mug:

Latest posts

Back