First Brew Underway...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
So, a first few thoughts... sanitization is not so much fun. Its hard to tell if I sanitized everything, and even then I'm still nervous.

Second thing... I smacked the pack about an hour ago on my yeast, and there's no increase in size. How long after I smack the pack should I see an increase in size, and when should I abort?

Thanks!

Don't worry, sanitation will become second nature to you. What are your techniques for sanitizing?

I have only used a smack pack a couple of times and they took a few hours to look like anything was working. You might want to give some thought to making a yeast starter for your next brew. They are really easy and work great.

We were all nervous the first time....

Smacked packs usually take several hours to bulge the least little bit. overnight will usually be the indicator. However, unless it shipped at 100F in the summer, without an icepack, it's probably viable.

Do you have time / stuff to make a starter?

don't panic if you
1) can't make a starter
2) can't wait overnight

you'll still be fine. Swelling of the pack is just an indicator.
Starters just double the numbers of yeasties.

Wyeast packs should swell within 3-4 hours, sometimes sooner. Keep it at room temperature. Check the mfg date on your yeast but I highly doubt there will be a problem. For future brews I would recommend a starter to ensure yeast vitality. I always sanitize my carboy as my wort chills that way I limit the amount of time between sanitizing and using. You'll get used to it and you won't get nervous anymore. Just be sure it's cleaned and then follow your sanitizer directions. Good luck!

We were all nervous the first time....

Smacked packs usually take several hours to bulge the least little bit. overnight will usually be the indicator. However, unless it shipped at 100F in the summer, without an icepack, it's probably viable.

Do you have time / stuff to make a starter?

don't panic if you
1) can't make a starter
2) can't wait overnight

you'll still be fine. Swelling of the pack is just an indicator.
Starters just double the numbers of yeasties.

Well, currently my grain is steeping in the pot. The wife forgot to smack the pack for me before she picked me up at the airport. Booooo.

For sanitization I used the cleaning solution AHS provided, basically poured 5 gallons in the carboy, added the solution, and mixed itup.

I then put another gallon of solution into the pot Im going to use and soaked everything that I plan on touching any of the solution, including the airlock pieces, hydrometer and thermometer.

I think i was more nervous brewing my first batch of beer then I was the night I lost my virginity....LOL

But, just like with sex, it gets better with Experience! hahahah

One note on the smack pack. The first time I used one I smacked it pretty hard several times and it did not swell. When I opened it I realized I did not actually break the pack. So be sure you smack it good and hard, it won't break.

I personally perfer White labs and a starter. I have some sittin on the stir plate now.

This was my recipe -

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 46.15 %
1.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 15.38 %
1.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (45 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 15.38 %
5.00 gal San Antonio, TX Water
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) Yeast-Wheat

Measured OG was actually at 1.065, but temperature of wort was at 77 degrees. I was shooting for around 1.044 or so.

I thought I followed the recipe pretty well. Steeping went pretty well, except it got pretty hot and boiled over right when I started the boil for the extract.

Kind of disappointed, because I'm sure it's going to come out with way too much alcohol :(

When did you take the hydrometer reading? If you took it before you added the top off water, that is your reason for the higher gravity. The sugars are more concentrated. If you took the reading after you added the top off water, chances are that the wort just wasn't mixed well enough. There is only so much sugar in that kit. Since it was an extract you can be sure that you will be getting the expected OG.

When did you take the hydrometer reading? If you took it before you added the top off water, that is your reason for the higher gravity. The sugars are more concentrated. If you took the reading after you added the top off water, chances are that the wort just wasn't mixed well enough. There is only so much sugar in that kit. Since it was an extract you can be sure that you will be getting the expected OG.

Yeah I just checked it three times again. Its right at 1.060 after I tried to shake the carboy.

I did add all the water and check it after.. but perhaps its not mixed well enough. Do I need to make sure it's mixed better before fermentation????

How the heck do you mix it better in that carboy?

I did add all the water and check it after.. but perhaps its not mixed well enough. Do I need to make sure it's mixed better before fermentation????

The important thing is aerating the wort extremely well. That is done typically by shaking the crap out of the carboy for a few minutes. Do this by grasping it between your knees on the ground, tipping to the front of you, and rocking aggressively back and forth. Put a solid stopper on there first. Or get yourself an oxygen and airstone setup. Doing this will also ensure you have complete mixing and can get a good OG sample.

EDIT: Also, make sure your final volume in the fermenter is correct - with extract kits that's the most important thing to hitting your expected OG.

Yeah I just checked it three times again. Its right at 1.060 after I tried to shake the carboy.

Hmmm I plug the numbers into Beersmith and I get for a 5 gallon batch 1.050.
The only way that you will have a higher than expect OG would be if you didn't add enough water to get to 5 gallons. If you are using the markings on a bucket as your gauge that maybe the issue. They can be off +- 1/2 gallon. I suppose that the kit could of had more extract than stated, that too would give you a higher OG too....either way if you are 100% sure you measured right and mixed it well, you can always cut it with some more water to get the OG down. That will give you a few more beers out of the batch too!

Either way I am sure it will be tasty :mug:

I took some other peoples advice on here and manually measured out 5 gallons and marked the carboy ahead of time. After reading some other threads on the matter, I'm assuming the concentrated wort just didn't get mixed well enough. Another thread Revvy responded to said that the active fermentation should mix everything well enough though.

Lesson learned though...

I took some other peoples advice on here and manually measured out 5 gallons and marked the carboy ahead of time. After reading some other threads on the matter, I'm assuming the concentrated wort just didn't get mixed well enough. Another thread Revvy responded to said that the active fermentation should mix everything well enough though.

Lesson learned though...

Seems like you had everything under control. I'd let it go and see what comes of it. Chances are that it'll be just fine. Make sure to keep us updated on the progess.

What's next the next batch going to be?

I'm going for that delicious Apfelwein that I saw one of the Moderators touting. The wife does love some Apple Wine, so I figure it's as close as I can get ;)

If I don't make SWMBO happy, I'm in trouble. I'm already taking up the spa tub with my carboy :-\

Lesson learned though...

Well aren't you super on top of things? In that case, the only way your gravity really is 1.060 is if you somehow measured your extract and sugar wrong. You could also check your hydrometer. Put it in some water and check what it reads. It should say 1.000.

Well aren't you super on top of things? In that case, the only way your gravity really is 1.060 is if you somehow measured your extract and sugar wrong. You could also check your hydrometer. Put it in some water and check what it reads. It should say 1.000.

Well unfortunately the Thief that I have, is like a reverse bottle filler. So the only reading I can get is from the bottom of the carboy.

I'll go check the Hydrometer now. I appreciate the help!

As for the Extracts and Sugar... those were pre-measured by the brew company I ordered the ingredients from.

I'm going for that delicious Apfelwein that I saw one of the Moderators touting. The wife does love some Apple Wine, so I figure it's as close as I can get ;)

If I don't make SWMBO happy, I'm in trouble. I'm already taking up the spa tub with my carboy :-\

GOOD idea keeping the SWMBO happy. Unfortunatly for me, my SWMBO doesn't drink beer at all...period....and doesn't understand why I just can't buy some Bud Light :drunk:

Well unfortunately the Thief that I have, is like a reverse bottle filler. So the only reading I can get is from the bottom of the carboy.

I'll go check the Hydrometer now. I appreciate the help!

As for the Extracts and Sugar... those were pre-measured by the brew company I ordered the ingredients from.

I get it now. It makes sense that you get a higher reading when you take your sample from the bottom. I always take my samples from the top, so I couldn't figure out why it'd be that way.

If I had known I never would have suggested the hydrometer check, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

Yeah, Hydrometer came back fine. I guess I just need to shake it a bit more. Either that or mix it in my bucket first and then poor the bucket in to the carboy. Seems like a more difficult process though.

I was scared to shake the Carboy too much, since all the horror stories I read on here about people losing tendons, etc. from them breaking.

Yeah, Hydrometer came back fine. I guess I just need to shake it a bit more. Either that or mix it in my bucket first and then poor the bucket in to the carboy. Seems like a more difficult process though.

I was scared to shake the Carboy too much, since all the horror stories I read on here about people losing tendons, etc. from them breaking.

I wouldn't bother shaking it anymore. Fermentation will get it to all mix in the end.

I shake the crap out of my carboy to oxygenate it. Just don't hit it against anything and I wouldn't worry about it breaking.

Update -

I think I've made beer? Doesn't look like an infection to me... This is 12 hours after yeast was added. Airlock is bubbling happily away. Does it look low for 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy?? I swear I measured it correctly.

IMG_1443.jpg

Here are some other pics of me getting the stuff going.

Tools sanitized and ready to go!
IMG_1435.jpg

Grains steeping away
IMG_1437.jpg

Heating to a rolling boil after steeping
IMG_1439.jpg

Agh! Gotta check BeerSmith. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong!!
IMG_1440.jpg

Get all of the ingredients ready to go...
IMG_1441.jpg

Mmm delicious smelling wort and hops added/
IMG_1442.jpg

Looks awesome to me!

Apfelwein is super-easy. It's best after a year (they say), but if you backsweeten and add some apple flavored brandy to it (smoothing out the hotness a bit), it can be pretty good in as little as a month after it clears.

You must keep SWMBO happy. It is in the beer-brewer rules. ;)

Does it look low for 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy?? I swear I measured it correctly.

It's tough to tell in the photo. If you marked the carboy with nail polish you'd know for sure. (add a gallon of water at a time and mark the carboy). It looks like you have the same type 6.5 gal carboy as I have (but I can't be certain); my 5 gal mark is 3.5 inches below the bottom of the raised "ring" where the carboy starts sloping toward the neck. FYI I usually shoot for 5.5 gal into the fermenter so I get a finished 5 gal out after losing some to trub and yeast. Seems many recipes are formulated for 5.5 gal too for that exact reason, so it's something to be aware of when you're trying to hit your expected OG.

It's tough to tell in the photo. If you marked the carboy with nail polish you'd know for sure. (add a gallon of water at a time and mark the carboy). It looks like you have the same type 6.5 gal carboy as I have (but I can't be certain); my 5 gal mark is 3.5 inches below the bottom of the raised "ring" where the carboy starts sloping toward the neck. FYI I usually shoot for 5.5 gal into the fermenter so I get a finished 5 gal out after losing some to trub and yeast. Seems many recipes are formulated for 5.5 gal too for that exact reason, so it's something to be aware of when you're trying to hit your expected OG.

Hmm... just measured it myself now. Looks like there's 4 1/2" from the top ring like you mentioned. Then again there's a lot of Krausen now, so it may have affected where it's sitting at now. Then again, I may be a 1/2 gallon off.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Too true!

Lesson learned for next time, and if watering it down when you drink it helps, then you can do that then. Or, mix it into a beer cocktail. Or, let it age and the alcohol flavor will go down. You really can't lose with beer being too strong. Too weak on the other hand... :(

Too true!

Lesson learned for next time, and if watering it down when you drink it helps, then you can do that then. Or, mix it into a beer cocktail. Or, let it age and the alcohol flavor will go down. You really can't lose with beer being too strong. Too weak on the other hand... :(

If I take the FG and it's still wicked high, can I pour water in, to get the correct FG? I am using extracts, so there shouldn't be any real variation in gravity, correct?

If I take the FG and it's still wicked high, can I pour water in, to get the correct FG? I am using extracts, so there shouldn't be any real variation in gravity, correct?

I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't worry about the FG being to high as it's very likely that the OG was correct.

I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't worry about the FG being to high as it's very likely that the OG was correct.

+1. Don't add water to beer after it's done and bottled either... that's sacrilege IMHO.

+1. Don't add water to beer after it's done and bottled either... that's sacrilege IMHO.

Alrighty. I'm gunna roll with it and see what happens. Amazing amount of krausen (sp?) on top. I figure the worst that's happened is a strong Wit... which can't be too bad ;)

Hmmm... I'm up to about 4 inches of Krausen now in the Carboy. I'm afraid it will reach the top some time today. Is that a normal amount, and if its higher than normal, is there any negative affects of too much fermentation?

I've been keeping the ambient temperature of the tub its sitting in, at around 58-62 degrees. Which I figure leaves the internal carboy at about 65 degrees, based upon a 5 degree internal increase.

Back