Going from AG to Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerjunky828

Reaction score
Trying to get used to my surroundings and storing the equipment and get back in the groove and having been waiting on cooler weather, I am going to be brewing a MOCK-toberfest Ale. Bought a kit today, and going to show a friend how to make beer. I havent done an extract beer in over a year because I have made 15 AG batches.

Recipe

3.3 LBs Light LME
3.3 LBs munich LME
4 oz Victory
4 oz Melanoidin
4 oz Crystal 40L

1 oz Mt Hood 60 mins
1 oz Hallertau 15 mins

US-05

I will say that after making AG, it is a lot more expensive doing an extract

Going into the pot in about 30 mins

Yes, extract is quit a bit cheaper, however you have to factor in the time you spend and the additional equipment on all grain. To me, I love my brewdays, so if they last a couple hours longer, I'm cool with that.

I enjoy doing both, depending on mainly on how much time I have to brew. Sometimes I think of squeezing in an extract batch during my hour long mash...easy way to fill the tanks!

Recipe looks good, enjoy!

I buy AG ingredients in bulk and a 5 gallon batch of my Bavarian Hefe cost under $7 when you propagate your own yeast.

Yes, extract is quit a bit cheaper, however you have to factor in the time you spend and the additional equipment on all grain. To me, I love my brewdays, so if they last a couple hours longer, I'm cool with that.

My extract brewing days were shorter but more expensive.

Like Ed said, buy in bulk and harvest your own yeast and beers are so much cheaper.

I use a corona mill and mill my own grains, crush them on the finer side also helps me get better efficiency and have to use less grains equals even cheaper

Back