Savannah recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choptop

Reaction score
Anybody got any must-see pubs in/around the Historic District of Savannah? I'm taking my wife for a few days next week we're trying to narrow down which spots we have to hit while we're there.

Man, I haven't been to Savannah in a few years now. There used to be an Irish pub next door to Paula Dean's mega-restaurant, but I can't remember the name of it. There were also a few places about a half a block down and then a half block beyond that was a little square and there was this underground/lower level bar of some type. Okay, I realize none of that is really very helpful, other than to say, there ARE places down near the historic area that aren't too hard to find.

Heh, thanks. We've been looking online and found a handful of good looking brewpubs (The Distillery and Moon River, among others). Just fishing for recommendations. I'm sure we'll have plenty of opportunity for drunkeness, regardless.

We went to a number of bars around Savannah when we visited a couple of years ago. Nothing interesting or memorable except Moon River and The Distillery...

If you visit Distillery, grab some crab cake sandwiches. Superb!

Awesome, will do. Crab cake sandwiches are always a winner.

I think the Irish place next to The Lady & Sons might have been O'Connell's. It seemed fine, but don't recall too much about it. Not sure if The Lady & Sons is still standing room only. It used to be, if you got a pretty cool attendant at the check in line, they would note that you were next door at the bar and they'd come and get you when your table was ready. If you got an A-hole attendant they made you wait outside for two hours. Screw that, her food was good, but not THAT good!

Enjoy your trip! I've been to Savannah a number of times and really fell in love with the place.

Thanks! I haven't been there since before I was even old enough to drink in a bar, so it should be a fun trip. I'm long overdue for a vacation (but aren't we all).

Back from Savannah. The Distillery was fantastic. Hung out there at some point about every day that I was there. The GM, Ben, is a really cool guy and shared a few mystery beers he had taking up space in the cellar w/ my wife and I. If I were to ever move to the area (which is a possibility down the road), that would definitely be my home base.
Moon River had a few really good beers, but of course they only serve their own, so the selection is limited to what they've recently produced at any given time. The Swamp Fox IPA was great.

Other recommendations for anyone else who goes: b.MATTHEWS on Bay St has fantastic food, free wifi, and a handful of good beers (Victory, New Belgium, Dogfish Head, Stone).
The same people that own b.MATTHEWS own a bbq joint on MLK called Blowin' Smoke that has a similar beer selection and really damn good brisket.
Molly MacPherson's Scottish Pub has a good selection of English/Irish/Scottish beers, but more importantly they have an EPIC list of single malt scotches.

Moon River had a few really good beers, but of course they only serve their own, so the selection is limited to what they've recently produced at any given time. The Swamp Fox IPA was great.

I liked Moon River quite a bit. The fact that you could take a beer to go was awesome. (the whole lack of open container laws in the historical district is awesome)

They also have $2 screen printed pint glasses, although, of the 4 I bought, only 1 made it home, and the 3 fatalities all looked like they'd been chipped prior to being wrapped.

They make a good crab melt too.

Back