Terrible Rash, Beer the Cause?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
So last night I got two six packs of Stone IPA and Dogfish Indian Brown Ale. I drank one of each and woke up with a HUGE rash this morning. I mean, all things considered, I know it might not even be the beer but nothing else had been changed. Has anyone else ever had a rash from only certain types of beer? I have a feeling its coming from the hops in the Stone, but I have no idea.

I've never heard of a hop allergy, but I know I get as red as a tomato when I eat apricots. That said... I risked it and had an Aprihop at the DFH brewery and looked like a tomato for the rest of the evening.

I don't know about Stone, but DFH actually says on the brewery tour that their beers are not allergy friendly, and so it's possible that you're allergic to something used in one of their beers.

Lets see, you got drunk.... woke up with a rash?
There has to be more to this story, lol, like how many chicks your woke up with or you woke up in another country or something, haha. Sounds like the start of Fear & Loathing, but ends as a bad college experience!

Lets see, you got drunk.... woke up with a rash?
There has to be more to this story, lol, like how many chicks your woke up with or you woke up in another country or something, haha. Sounds like the start of Fear & Loathing, but ends as a bad college experience!

+1 to this..Stop blaming the beer on your rash!..lol

Hop allergies do exist, but I doubt they would cause a rash. Just for confirmation, try soaking a sensitive part of your body in the IPA.

Do not post pictures.

Yeah, you can blame the beer, but only indirectly.

Reminds of the joke about Jack Daniels. Guy is complaining that JD makes his ass hurt. When asked about this he says: "Every time I go camping with my good buddy, we drink a fifth of JD and when I wake up my ass hurts."

Well, I only drank one of each that night so I wasn't drunk. It's the Dogfish Ale. I ran out of Sierra Nevada the other night, sucked it up and drank the five Stone IPAs that were left (I really hate IPA's anyway, but naturally I was intoxicated picking such beers out). Anyway, nothing but a good time playing Nazi Zombies on the Xbox =). A few nights ago I drank the Dogfish Ale and had a reaction that sent me to the hospital unable to breathe. Whew. =( So what could be in Dogfish that would cause this? Just so I stay away from that when I brew.

There are any number of ingredients in DF beers that could cause a reaction. He uses all kinds of non-standard adjuncts. I forget what adjuncts besides brown sugar are in the Indian Brown. Raisins? Something else.

I would look to those as the cause.

I think it sounds like if I don't put crazy stuff -nonstandard things - into my beer, I will likely stay alive. But why live if you cannot brew?

Oh pish posh! I have watched every episode of both House AND Scrubs so you can listen to me.

In my very learned opinion you have Acute Necrotizing Fasciitis- otherwise known as Chompers. Or maybe Lupus.

Definitely an autoimmune disorder regardless.

Okay, dontman, you're really starting to tick me off!

How am I supposed to pretend to be working when I'm laughing my a** off!

That was hilarious. Now - cut it out, can't you see I'm workin' here?

Back