finally a good kegging!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
Man kegging has been a "learn the hard way" situation for this guy. But today I kegged a batch and I feel good about it.

I primed just like I was bottling, siphoned the beer on in, purged twice, left just a bit of co2 in the head space and called it good. the corny is sitting in the guest bedroom right now. I think the extra co2 will ensure a good seal for the bubbles to do their thing.

I know this is business as usual for all you hbt pros, but my first two kegs were disasterous and I swore to bottle for about six months.

The beer? It was BYO's double the fun brewday IPA and the hydro was delicious. :mug:

Glad to hear you have a success. Can I ask why you primed at all and not force carbonate?

Man kegging has been a "learn the hard way" situation for this guy. But today I kegged a batch and I feel good about it.

I primed just like I was bottling, siphoned the beer on in, purged twice, left just a bit of co2 in the head space and called it good. the corny is sitting in the guest bedroom right now. I think the extra co2 will ensure a good seal for the bubbles to do their thing.

I know this is business as usual for all you hbt pros, but my first two kegs were disasterous and I swore to bottle for about six months.

The beer? It was BYO's double the fun brewday IPA and the hydro was delicious. :mug:

Glad to hear you have a success. Can I ask why you primed at all and not force carbonate?

I've got a leak in the regulator that I think I fixed this morning, bubbles stopped on the soap test.

But I played it on the safe side and turned the gas off for now.

Anybody ever just hit the keg with a ton of gas and then turn it off? I've heard mixed results, but it would be my best bet for force carb at the moment.

Anybody ever just hit the keg with a ton of gas and then turn it off? I've heard mixed results, but it would be my best bet for force carb at the moment.

I throw 30PSI on mine to make sure the lid is properly seated, then leave it until it goes into the keezer. It will absorb most of the CO2 in the head space in the first week, as it continues to condition.

I throw 30PSI on mine to make sure the lid is properly seated, then leave it until it goes into the keezer. It will absorb most of the CO2 in the head space in the first week, as it continues to condition.

so no extra pressure? that sounds great!

Wait a week plus how much time?

I pay too much for CO2 to force carb. I would rather spend 35 cents on some sugar and let my pipline grow, save the money for more kegs.

M(cheap azz)2c

I pay too much for CO2 to force carb. I would rather spend 35 cents on some sugar and let my pipline grow, save the money for more kegs.

M(cheap azz)2c
I feel you, not that CO2 is expensive (but in AK I bet it is!) but it is a serious pain in my butt to obtain when working 10-7 and the fire supplies are open from 12-5.

So I'm a little paranoid about gas...you go take a day of vacation time to get a tank re-filled!

Forget it. This keg is flat just like the others before it. I hate you kegging.

Hasn't it only been 8 days since you put it in the keg? You mentioned that you never hooked it up to the CO2 after filling it so you will need to wait 3 weeks for carbonation although I would fix the leaking problem and be done with it.

Hasn't it only been 8 days since you put it in the keg? You mentioned that you never hooked it up to the CO2 after filling it so you will need to wait 3 weeks for carbonation although I would fix the leaking problem and be done with it.

yeah I meant that the keg isn't holding pressure. I haven't tried the beer.

Check and possibly replace your O-ring around the top of the keg. Also, what pressure are you bumping this up to when trying to seal. Remember, 10 psi won't really cut it to get a good seal. I usually close the lid, connect the gas, and set it to 30-35 psi until I hear the hissing from the lid stop. Once the gas stops flowing you can disconnect the gas and let it carb up naturally still.

If you do decide to say screw it and force carb, just remember that you also primed it. You may need to bleed off some excess pressure every few days for a little bit just to make sure you have the proper carbonation levels. At this point, I think you'll just be happy with "some" carbonation.

Check and possibly replace your O-ring around the top of the keg. Also, what pressure are you bumping this up to when trying to seal. Remember, 10 psi won't really cut it to get a good seal. I usually close the lid, connect the gas, and set it to 30-35 psi until I hear the hissing from the lid stop. Once the gas stops flowing you can disconnect the gas and let it carb up naturally still.

If you do decide to say screw it and force carb, just remember that you also primed it. You may need to bleed off some excess pressure every few days for a little bit just to make sure you have the proper carbonation levels. At this point, I think you'll just be happy with "some" carbonation.

Stopped into the hbs last weekend and bought new rings, I'll try bumping the pressure to 35 to get a seal too. thanks!

bump

Update.

I'm convinced this keg is not holding pressure. My other corny is working really well using all the techniques and tips I've learned from HBT, this one has given me problems every time.

All three batches that have gone into this keg have tasted really awful. Sherry-like and flat with sour aroma.

I've scrubbed & PBW'd multiple times, replaced all the rings, lubed with keg lube, boosted the psi for seal, tightening the couplings, tried priming and force carbing and nothing yields an acceptable result with this keg.

While the other one is working fine with the same cleaning and filling regiment.

Its gotta be the keg. Sorry little corny, I'm not wasting my time on you anymore.

bump

Update.

I'm convinced this keg is not holding pressure. My other corny is working really well using all the techniques and tips I've learned from HBT, this one has given me problems every time.

All three batches that have gone into this keg have tasted really awful. Sherry-like and flat with sour aroma.

I've scrubbed & PBW'd multiple times, replaced all the rings, lubed with keg lube, boosted the psi for seal, tightening the couplings, tried priming and force carbing and nothing yields an acceptable result with this keg.

While the other one is working fine with the same cleaning and filling regiment.

Its gotta be the keg. Sorry little corny, I'm not wasting my time on you anymore.

Have you tried a soapy water test, just pressurise the keg then spray a solution of water and something soapy (oxiclean or diswasher detergent) around the top of the keg, hell spray it all over the thing, you'll see bubble from where the leak is, standard test in industry if hydro-testing can't be done.

Yep. I've long since given up on that keg. It holds only star san these days.

I've replaced it with 7 others now :D

Fair enough, would be nice to have a keg for sanitiser but at $70 a pop over here i would be doing whatever I can to save one.
Glad kegging finally worked out for you.

ouch. maybe one of those southern hemispere cubes we americans are always hearing about would be a better choice for sanitizer?

jerrycan?

Back