Wit Blu Moon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwasert

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP550
Yeast Starter
n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 70 deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 70 deg
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
n/a
My "Wit Blu Moon" Blue Moon Clone.

Split Boil (sounds painfull)

Ingredients:
3 Gal water
6 lb Northwestern Wiezen LME
1 oz Hallertauer
1 oz Crystal
1 oz Coriander Seed
1 oz Sweet Orange Peel
1 lb Amber Candy Sugar, or Belgian Candy Sugar
Belgian Ale Yeast
10 Lbs Ice or do 5 or 6 gal boil with a chiller. (I use Ice because I dont have a chiller.)

1 lb Candy Sugar, LME and 1/2 oz Hallertaur@ 60 Min.
1/2 oz Hallertaur @ 45 Min.
1/2 oz Crystal, 1 oz crushed coriander, 1 oz sweet orange peel @ 30 Min.
1/2 oz crystal @ 5 Min.

Pour on Ice in primary thru strainer to remove large chunks of orange peel and coriander. Stir to disolve Ice. Your temp sould be around 60 to 65 deg then pitch yeast.

I think one week primary at 70 deg, two weeks secondary at 70 deg and keg one week, or bottle with priming sugar two weeks.

This is in my primary now it sounds like a good recipie. Ill let you know how it turns out or give it a shot and you let me know. If you have any suggestions questions or comments please let me know.

This Beer turned out awesome! Nice color, admirable alcohol content at about 5% by vol. 1.052 og 1.010 fg. 4 Glasses later I couldnt remember how to spell my name. I shared it with a few of my very close friends that had admited they couldnt tell it was home brew. One of my friends even said "This is WAY better than that **** that Zak makes." Which made me quite happy as this beer was my very first batch, and Zak has had a bit more experience. I bought a keg system and built a kegorator out of a small fridge my friend gave me. It was free so I didnt feel to bad about drilling holes in the side and top, I also had to sawzall the door shelves out. Who the hell needs shelves when the keg takes up the whole fridge? If you like Blue Moon yer gunna love this one! I did a side by side comparison of the real one and my copy. My beer has more orangy/coriander flavor and the yeast flavor is a bit richer. The commercial beer is definatly lighter in color and flavor. Im going to call it a success, I already started another batch!

Excuse me for being a newb, but just getting into home brewing. Doing all the reading and watching videos that I can. I was wondering when you say "1 lb Candy Sugar, LME and 1/2 oz Hallertaur@ 60 Min." Does that mean boil this for 60 minutes then add the Hallertaur boil for another 45? Or does it mean to add the 1 lb Candy Sugar, LME and 1/2 oz Hallertaur at the beginning and then add the rest of the hallertaur after 15 minutes? Meaning that the whole process is going to take 60 minutes total? Sorry.. Just trying to figure out how to read these recipes. Also what temperature should the water be at throughout this process? Thanks

Basically, you treat the boil like a countdown. So when it says hallertau @ 60min., this means that you will add it at the beginning of the boil, and it will stay in there for 60 min., the next addition is at 45 min, so you will add it 15 min. after the hops...

Does this help?

Basically, you treat the boil like a countdown. So when it says hallertau @ 60min., this means that you will add it at the beginning of the boil, and it will stay in there for 60 min., the next addition is at 45 min, so you will add it 15 min. after the hops...

Does this help?

Yes sir, thank you very much. I am new to this and just trying to learn all the different post terminology lol. Not to hi-jack this thread but any other tips are welcome. Thanks again!

Also, if I were to do half of this recipe would the boiling or any other times change?

Times stay the same

Yes sir, thank you very much. I am new to this and just trying to learn all the different post terminology lol. Not to hi-jack this thread but any other tips are welcome. Thanks again!

Also, if I were to do half of this recipe would the boiling or any other times change?

Went to make this and the LHBS didn't have crystal and told me to sub tettnang instead, That sound right to you guys? Also what IBU's should i be shooting at to scale to with this beer?

I'm not an expert but crystal is a steeping grain (malt) while tettnanger is a hop so at least to me it doesn't make sense.

edit: nevermind, upon further research there is a crystal hop that I've never heard of. The website I saw listed substitutions as: Mt. Hood, Hersbruck, French Strisselspalt, Liberty, Hallertau

Made a High test knock off of this and it turned out GREAT. Only 2 weeks in the bottle and the first glass was amazing.

[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com[/size]
[size=+2]Recipe: Full Moon[/size]
Brewer: Brian
Asst Brewer: Kyle
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 13.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
6.00 lb       Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)               Dry Extract  85.69 %       
0.33 oz       Hallertauer [4.70 %]  (60 min)            Hops         5.3 IBU       
0.33 oz       Hallertauer [4.70 %]  (45 min)            Hops         4.9 IBU       
0.33 oz       Mt. Hood [5.50 %]  (30 min)               Hops         4.8 IBU       
0.33 oz       Mt. Hood [5.50 %]  (5 min)                Hops         1.3 IBU       
1.00 oz       Coriander Seed (Boil 30.0 min)            Misc                       
1.00 oz       Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 30.0 min)        Misc                       
1.00 lb       Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM)             Sugar        14.31 %       
1 Pkgs        Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400)      Yeast-Wheat

Notes:
Used 6lb instead of 5 dry and adjusted the IBU's to match.

Ended up at 7.57% abv

I made a Belgian Wit with Willamette and saaz, but I really want to try another with some candi sugar and also white labs belgian wit yeast; I used Safale S-04 in my first try. I am hoping this will come out a little bit more smooth then my first try with the liquid yeast the second time around.

Im planning on doing this recipe this coming weekend and have already purchase all the ingrediants. I see it calls for 6lbs of the LME. THe container i purchased is a 7lb container. I am guessing that is a standard size. What do people do with the left over pound? would it change the outcome much if you added it?

Latest posts

Back