Going to 10 gallon batches....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting 10 gallon batches soon..Anything special I need to know before I start? I'm gonna double my recipes and water volumes. One thing I'm wondering is when I do 5 gallon batches, I usually come out of my mash tun with 7 to 7.5 gallons of wort, boiling down to 5.5 gallons. I'm assuming for a 10 gallon batch, I'll need 14 gallons of wort. It takes me 90 minutes to boil down a 1 1/2 gallons. Now with the double batch, do I need to expect 3 hours of boil time?

Your boiloff is a constant, boil for 60 minutes or 90, whatever you prefer. You should only be running off 12-13 gallons max. No need to boil off 3-4 gallons.

I think that this is a case where a brewing software would come in very handy.
(But trust the vets too) :)
-Me

I take it that your brewing stand will be able to handle the extra weight? Don't drop 14 gallons of boiling stuff all over yourself please.

The only problem with moving to 10 gallon batches is that you will soon be thinking about how to get yourself to 20 gallon batches. :D Trust me. I added a second MT to my 3-keggle system so I can piggy-back 2 brews with just an extra hour of brew time. Two 10 gallon batches makes for an intense brewing evening and a monsterous grain and hop bill.

Seriously, though, I try to get 14 gallons into the keggle, boil down to 12, put 5.5 in each fermenter, and leave the rest of the crud for the cleaning crew.

Back