Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

immobileman

Reaction score
Anyone have a preference on kits to use or a good vendor? I would like to be able to have about three going in a given period so I would like some info on what the basics would be and then the additional supplies needed for additional brewing. thanks for any suggestions.

In terms of additional supplies to have 3 batches in process at once, fermenters and airlocks is about it.

I like Austin Homebrew Supply for kits, especially for lighter colored beers. I've had good experiences with Northern Brewer (MN) as well. Midwest Brewing Supply (also in MN) and Morebeer.com (CA) also are great shops, and all four places I've named move enough volume to assure fresh ingredients, and have pretty good websites.

Thanks for the reply. Just three (basic?) kits and then the additional fermenters and air locks?

I like northerbrewer.com , if you are looking for kits they seem to have the best prices, options, and their web site is easy to use and has alot of pictures(I like to see what I am buying, especially when it comes to small parts like for kegs because I don't always know the name for what I want).

I think I misunderstood your original question- my bad. Any of those sites will have good kits to get you started brewing. After that, you'll just need additional fermenters and airlocks to do more beer at once.

I originally thought you meant recipe kits, which is where my light beer comment came in. Any of those are good for recipe kits, too.

Before you buy online, check to see if you have a homebrew shop in your area- if you do, give them a chance to earn your business before you go online for supplies.

Thanks elkdog and SBC for the additional info. I will look local and see what I can find. We all need to help the area business in times like these.

It sounds like there is some terminology confusion here.

Kits as in starter kits - you need one, but then additional airlocks and fermenters to have more than one beer going at a time.

Kits as in ingredient kits - you need one for every beer your going to brew, they are just the grains, hops, etc... that you need for a batch.

I second the Austinhomebrew suggestion. Wherever you go though, if you can, get better bottles instead of glass carboys.

once you have the "starter kit" it doesnt hurt to buy ingredient kits to get your feet wet...i've been brewing for 3 years and i'll still get an ingredient kit now and then. when it comes to styles you maynot know what ingredients go in it well enough. for me, Wheat beers, i like some, not my favorite, but i'll still want to brew one, so i bought a kit from AustinHomeBrew. i dont think there is anything wrong with going with a kit from any of the big online or local brew shops.

I actually just picked what I wanted.. didnt get a kit.. just bought stuff as I went..

Back