FG 1.010 but still thick Krauesen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike's Brew and Brat

Reaction score
I brewed last Saturday a West Coast Pale Ale.
SG was 1.052 1 week in primary. I was going to rack to secondary this morning, but when I took the lid off the Krausen was still thick. I took a reading and it was 1.01. So it should be done. But what do I do?
I thought the Krausen had to fall before you rack.

Can some guide me on this one?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

How think is the krausen? Some low flocculating yeasts dont like to fall out of suspension and I have had some that were finished and still had some yeast on top after 14 days. I usually wait about 10-14 day for those beers and then rack. I'd think it doesn't really matter a huge amout though and racking will probably help settle the yeast. The last beer I did still had about 1/4 inch on top after 11 days and it was done. Almost no airlock activity but the yeast was still really suspended a LOT. I racked and it has cleared a TON since.

Thanks, Mr. SalTy. I called my local HBS and they said to rack also. They said exactly what you are saying about it settling out. So I racked and it is setting nicely now in the secondary.

Mike's Brew and Brat said:
I brewed last Saturday a West Coast Pale Ale.
SG was 1.052 1 week in primary. I was going to rack to secondary this morning, but when I took the lid off the Krausen was still thick. I took a reading and it was 1.01. So it should be done. But what do I do?
I thought the Krausen had to fall before you rack.

Can some guide me on this one?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Some yeasts take forever to drop. Some brewers will salvage the yeast from the top. Go ahead and rack.

Back