What does barnyard taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argyle

Reaction score

The wiki on this site says that it has "been described as gamy, or as smelling like damp wool, leather, wet fur, a sweaty saddle or horse blanket, or a butcher shop. "

Really? What does that taste like?

Is it only a characteristic of brews that have undergone a Brettanomyces fermentation?

The first beer that -really- made me think barnyard was Fantome saison. I'd had other brett beers before like orval and stuff but it never made me think barnyard. Then I had the Fantome and I was like "Oh! That's what they mean by barnyard notes!" And yes, in my opinion it can actually be good at the right level. I don't know if anyone could adequately describe it honestly, I think you'll just have to taste a beer that makes you think barnyard.

The wiki on this site says that it has "been described as gamy, or as smelling like damp wool, leather, wet fur, a sweaty saddle or horse blanket, or a butcher shop. "

Really? What does that taste like?

Barnyard is a polite way of saying manure. Think of a pile of straw bedding that has been cleaned out of an animal's stall and has begun to decompose. If you have ever been on a farm it's easy to recognize but a little difficult to fully explain.

Is it only a characteristic of brews that have undergone a Brettanomyces fermentation?

Brett doesn't produce these flavors, it's more of a slightly sharp, mildewy essence.

Barnyard is a polite way of saying manure. Think of a pile of straw bedding that has been cleaned out of an animal's stall and has begun to decompose. If you have ever been on a farm it's easy to recognize but a little difficult to fully explain.

I've been to a farm many times and agriculture county fairs so I know what a barnyard smells like. I'm imagining that barnyard characteristics are similar to smells of the stables and stalls of horses, goats, and sheep. Through your descriptions, this is my current point of reference.

Brett doesn't produce these flavors, it's more of a slightly sharp, mildewy essence.

If brett doesn't produce these flavors, then where does it come from?

.If brett doesn't produce these flavors, then where does it come from?

If deliberate it comes from the appropriate Belgian yeast strain. If not it usually comes from a infection of wild yeast or bacteria or poorly controlled temperatures (too high) during fermentation.

Latest posts

Back