Long Wooden Posts in Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotbfan

Reaction score
I am planning out or front yard hop field, and am curious if anyone in the Portland area has found a source for 20-24 foot wood posts. I am not sure that cyclone fence metal posts are going to be strong enough to extend that far out of the ground. Trying to get about 20 feet up after burying the posts in the ground. Can anyone help me in my never ending search for pole?

Not sure if you can source some up there, but I've had luck finding used well pipe for cheap off craigslist. The 2" diameter poles are plenty strong and they come in 20' lengths--they're heavy, though, but I haven't found anything better for the price point. Going rate around here has been less than $10/pole...

What is the material that yours are made from? is it metal? any concern of them bending under weight of all of the hops? thanks for the tip!

They are made of steel. The 2" diameter poles are plenty strong--they will not bow or break easily. They are heavy SOBs. The 1" and 1.5" poles are considerably lighter but also not nearly as strong. I can post pictures of my set-up if you like--more of backyard farmer, though. You'd have to sink them three or four feet, so you'd get 16'+ of vertical. I have some of mine lashed/strapped to the posts of a covered patio, and some others dropped into galvanized fence posts that are already sunk and anchored--that way you can get to 20' to the top of the poles. My Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook will hit and go past 20' but for a commercial yard I'm not sure the extra height would be worth the extra challenge to harvest.

Look for western larch, (Larix occidentalis) Will last for many years in the ground. Will last longer if peeled. Check with your nearest National Forest for sources and permits.

Back