Marble Red Ale from "For the Love of Hops"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ditch

Reaction score
I've been reading this book since Friday. Cram packed full of info. Some really useful, some will just help you win Beer Jeopardy. I was pleased to find the Marble Red Ale recipe in the back. I went through the trouble of calculating it down to a 6gal batch, so I figured I'd share so you don't have to. I left the numbers for the grains in decimals. You can adjust them up or down to adjust for your scale batch. The hops have all been rounded to make for easy measuring except for the bittering addition. It just happened to be right at 40 IBUs for me at 1oz. That is the most important addition to keep the same! The IBUs work at the measurements I have here even though they look too rounded. Here ya go!

Marble Red Ale

Style: American IPA
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.42 %
Color: 18.4 SRM
Calories: 212
IBU's: 57.59
Efficiency: 75 %
Boil Size: 7.75 Gal
Batch Size: 6.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.055 Boil Time: 90 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 5 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 7 days @ 74.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
12.05 lbs 75.00 % Rahr 2-Row 60 mins 1.035
1.61 lbs 10.00 % Weyermann Vienna Malt 60 mins 1.038
1.61 lbs 10.00 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L 60 mins 1.034
0.80 lbs 5.00 % Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 60 mins 1.033

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 40.43 CTZ 75 mins 14.00
0.50 ozs 6.56 Citra 10 mins 13.20
0.50 ozs 6.46 Simcoe 10 mins 13.00
0.75 ozs 4.13 Cascade 10 mins 5.50
1.50 ozs 0.00 Cascade 0 mins 5.50
2.50 ozs Cascade 3 days 5.50 @65 then cold crash for 2days
0.50 ozs Citra 3 days 13.20@65 then cold crash for 2days
0.50 ozs Simcoe 3 days 13.00@65 then cold crash for 2days

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
3.0 pkg American Ale Wyeast Labs 1056

Additions

Mash Profile
Light Body Infusion In 60 min @ 150.0°F

Carbonation
To 2.5 vol CO2

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 1.532

Interesting. I would have guessed they used an English ale yeast. It's so malty it would seem to me that an American ale yeast would not give it the maltyness.

Thanks for posting! I will be brewing this one for sure. They make fantastic beers, especially their IPA. Any chance they had that one in the book? I can't find a clone anywhere.

Negative. This was the only recipe from marble in the book. Lots of good ones in there though. Worth picking it up!

Nice! I'm so glad you posted this recipe. This is my favorite american red ale but can only find it when I go to NM!

I'll be making this one tomorrow. I brewed a preliminary version before the Hops book came out. I gave the brewer (Ted) a couple bottles and he said it needed more crystal and more hops. The recipe from the book has more in both departments so it should be pretty close. When I get mine kegged, I'll do a side-by-side comparison with the real thing.

As an aside, Marble Red is my favorite New Mexico beer, and easily in my top ten favorite beers from anywhere. It is hop and malt heaven in a glass.

I have added Crystal hops to my modified recipe. After noticing that this recipe did not include them. They are an absolute necessity! Going a little heavier on the late hops will help get you closer as well. Still not as good as the real thing though!

Half oz at 10. Half oz at 0 and replaced a half ounce of Cascade in the dryhop. Next time I think I'm going to try a half oz of Citra and a half oz of Crystal at 5 as well. And maybe do a second dry hop with the same for another 3 days. Total of 6 days dryhop.

What is implied by the multiple cold crashes? Do you just pitch more hops in the fridge or take it back out to warm up?

I plan to master this beer, but will need to convert for BIAB...

I was just wondering if anyone had any updates as to how this turned out. I was just out in NM and tried this beer and loved it. This is next on my brewlist. Thanks in advance.

I was just wondering if anyone had any updates as to how this turned out. I was just out in NM and tried this beer and loved it. This is next on my brewlist. Thanks in advance.

Here's my recipe that I used below, with a couple of tweaks based on what I had on hand. Due to my specific crops, it came out a bit too bitter. The hop aroma was pretty much spot on. Color was a bit less red than I wanted, but I seem to be missing something in my process since the last couple of beers have been more pale than I expected (and others have proven).

I plan to make this again. An assistant brewer told me they use the chico strain, so I'd stick to US-05 or 1056 or the other one (forget the number). I'll also probably stick to 2-row pale malt instead of CMO. Lastly, I'll probably go with the 2 stage dry hop - I just did one big one.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Marble Red
Brewer: Chingon
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.51 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.59 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 15.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 97.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
156.58 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
20.90 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
20.90 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
10.39 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
3.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 40.8 IBUs
0.60 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 4.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [14.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 6.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Crystal [3.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 1.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 5.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [14.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Crystal [3.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 13 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Crystal [3.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 208.78 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 37.87 qt of water at 156.7 F 150.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 0.00 qt of water and heat to 170.0 170.0 F 1 min

Thanks for the quick reply PGE. I'm really looking forward to making this one. I am going to have to work out a substitution for the Crystal hops though. As long as the malt bill is close, I'll be happy.

Based on previous research and my aroma (seemed to be spot on), I think crystal hops seem to be pretty important for this recipe. I would try to order them online and wait for them if you can. Either way, this recipe will make a great Red Ale, but if you're set on Marble Red then i would try to get it just right. It's a perfect beer in my book...

So I ordered the crystal hops and made this recipe. Based on the comments above I added a small amount of roasted barley to get a good red color. That was a mistake. The beer is too dark, but I could care less.

This thing is awesome. It actually fermented out too much but it still seems to have enough residual sweetness to balance the huge hop presence. It's been a while since I had the original buy I think it's very close. Thanks for this recipe PGE!

So an update on my attempt at this beer. I did order the crystal hops. I had to adjust the hop schedule bc I no-chill. Based on the comments above, I also added a small amount of roasted barley to make sure I got a nice red color. That was a mistake. The beer came out way too dark, but I could care less.

This beer turned out awesome! Big hop aroma and flavor. Great maltiness even though it fermented out too much. Next time I will leave out the RB and mash a little higher, but otherwise, no changes. Thanks for the help PGEduardo.

I frequently run into a couple of different brewers from Marble in my circle of friends. Next time I do I'll remember to pull up my recipe and ask for their notes.

Now that you mention it, my version came out a bit too dark as well. I'll scale back next time...

Back