Who is your LHBS here in CT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started brewing 3 batches ago and have been going to Maltose Express. Others have said they are pricey, but I think it's a great shop, has a good selection and supply of kits, ingredients, and equipment. They'll also put together a kit for you if they don't already have it, and on their new website you can order ahead so your kit is waiting for you when you get there. I have never shopped around (except online and after shipping it's a draw), but the prices seem reasonable to me. They're friendly and knowledgable and have been very helpful to a new brewer and I will definitely continue to give them my business.

Maltose is also planning to open a taproom in the next year or so where they will sell (I think) kegs and growlers.

I'll offer a hat tip to the folks at Maltose. They've got a wide range of fairly priced kits and have always offered good advice on brewing and designing recipes. They are a bit pricey when it comes to equipment, though.

I've gone to Brew and Wine and Maltose. The people I dealt with at both stores were very good. I went to Maltose with a specific item in mind so I was in and out a bit quicker. The gentleman I talked with at Beer and Wine talked with me for almost an hour and answered all my noob questions.

I'm going to have to check out Cork and Brew. I thought from their website they were only a assisted brewing facility, so I'll have to take a run out there and see what they have for supplies.

Go into Cork and Brew with a little caution. Their supplies are a bit on the expensive side, but probably comparable with maltose. On the ingredients side of the house - they hang onto yeast longer than they probably should, don't tend to stock a lot of the better dry yeast varieties (if you're looking for US-05, S04, Notty, or the like, look elsewhere - if you're looking for Cooper's or any other cheapo yeast that most knowlegeable folks will tend to tell you to avoid, they're pretty well stocked in that). Looking for hops? They apparently have some varieties of hops in bulk in the back and measure them out in small baggies for you when you purchase - so you're not getting sealed, purged or vacuum sealed packages of hops, and you don't really know how they've been stored or for how long. DME is similarly repackaged, and I've found loose grains floating around in mine, so you definitely want to make sure to give it a good boil to kill off any lacto that could be hanging out in there.

And forget about asking for advice or substitutions about anything. They will literally walk to their desk and pull up google. The last time I had any interactions with them, I was calling around looking specifically for Golden Oats, trying to avoid ordering them online and paying stupid shipping charges. They didn't have them, and I heard her clicking away at her keyboard Googling for a substitution, and the next thing I know she's trying to tell me that "2-row is very similar to Golden Oats." I didn't even bother carrying on the conversation, just moved on...

Long story short, they seem to be good for an emergency "Oh crap, just broke another hydrometer and I need another one for this weekend," but, other than that, Brew and Wine and Maltose are much better alternatives.

I keep having very good experiences at Maltose. I would shop around before buying any equipment there, but their ingredients are pretty reasonable. I only ordered from another place on the internet once because Maltose didn't have it listed on their site (Pilsen DME), but for all I know I just had to go there and ask...they might have it in the back.

On my last visit, I was grabbing some of their pre-meausred, 1lb bags of grains for my recipe, even though I only needed .5 or .25 lbs. One of the guys there said they'll fill the grain bill in the back and mill it so I didn't have to buy anything more than what I needed...saved a bunch of money. We also had a great discussion about the hops I was considering and they gave me some good advice. The last pack of yeast I bought there was about 4 months old, but it was a kolsch, which might not move as quickly as a 1056, for example. I always find them to be very helpful and highly recommend them, at least for grains, extract, hops, and yeast.

Rumor has it that we have a new brew supply opening in Brookfield shortly!

Not a rumor - it is true! On Federal Road in 6 - 8 weeks.

On another note, on a recent visit to Maltose, found that they have reduced their grain prices. Most 50 lb bags are now $55. Smaller multiple lb. quantity prices are also lower, typically $1.60.

tomCT said:
Not a rumor - it is true! On Federal Road in 6 - 8 weeks.

On another note, on a recent visit to Maltose, found that they have reduced their grain prices. Most 50 lb bags are now $55. Smaller multiple lb. quantity prices are also lower, typically $1.60.

My old stomping grounds, although I've been gone for over 19 years. When you're on Federal Road, stop in Widow Browns for a pint and a sandwich. I miss it terribly!

Another vote for maltose here. I've been a customer over there now for about 2 years I think. I'm in there twice a week Haha. They opened at some point when I was living in Boston and I always made an effort to stop in.

Mark and Tess are great, and they have lots of new plans in the works as far as I know.

Yeah, last I heard their plans ran up against some town law that prohibits the sale of beer where it is brewed. Hoping that this won't be a major obstacle because I'm really looking forward to being able to stop in for a pint (or a growler!).

Yeah, last I heard their plans ran up against some town law that prohibits the sale of beer where it is brewed. Hoping that this won't be a major obstacle because I'm really looking forward to being able to stop in for a pint (or a growler!).

Yea Cts a 3 tier system. I think they had that under control though. Ill be In tomorrow and find out

Yea Cts a 3 tier system. I think they had that under control though. Ill be In tomorrow and find out

apparently except for BAR in new haven, and any SBC in ct? it may be a 3 tier sale for distribution purposes (as are most places in the US) but anywhere that brews is likely to be able to sell growlers (Nebco/Willybrew/Thimble Island etc) it's just a matter of selling finished canned/bottled product where it changes hands and needs to be overtaxed...

just because it may be a 3 tier system doesn't mean all that much

I don't know how the 3 tier system factors in, but in my brief research it seems like one can get permits in CT to sell their own beer. Places like BAR or SBC are two examples. The problem that Maltose has, as far as I understand it, is that there is a town law in Monroe that prohibits it.

But don't quote me...I may not know what I'm talking about.

Mine would be Zoks, but due to my work schedule, I haven't been able to make it down there while he's open.

Afaik, and have researched, it all depend on on premises vs off premis consumption. Brewpubs specifically brew their beer for on premise consumption or for sale for off premise ie growlers. And food is a requirement.

So as far as brewpups go , they are the exception that bends the rule of a 3 tier system of manufacturing-> distributing-> retail. The catch is its mostly on premise, afaik again

But see, that would fail to account for breweries with tasting rooms (think Thomas Hooker, Back East, Two Roads, etc), or those with flat out taprooms (and no food, so they're not brewpubs) like Firefly Hollow that should be coming on line later this summer.

I'm thinking, as JohnK93 stated, that Maltose's problem is a local one and not a state one.

But see, that would fail to account for breweries with tasting rooms (think Thomas Hooker, Back East, Two Roads, etc), or those with flat out taprooms (and no food, so they're not brewpubs) like Firefly Hollow that should be coming on line later this summer.

I'm thinking, as JohnK93 stated, that Maltose's problem is a local one and not a state one.

I think the tasting rooms are considered seperate entities from the breweries, so its an additional liscence. Dont quote me though, its just a guess

Howdy,

This is Bill from Firefly Hollow Brewing and Brew and Wine Hobby. Let me run down what we saw. In May of 2012 the law was changed to allow a Brewery & Brewpub combined license. There are 3 breweries in the state who are going for/registered for the state level license. Two Roads, Broad Brook, and us. The permit lets you manufacture and retail your own beer without food. AKA you can set up a true taproom for only your product- selling pints. You can also sell up to 9 liters/day to direct to consumer retail (read growlers). The issue comes into on a town level most zoning rules are not made with this in mind. The breweries usually are labelled as manufacturing such as Hooker, Back East, etc... This combined status has made it so there is a town by town conversation as to where you would fit in.

I hope that answers the question for those who are curious.

Bill from Firefly Hollow Brewing

Just curious why Maltose is expensive? We compare each month to Northern Brewer and other sites and we are right in line. Thanks
Mark
Maltose Express

Mark, maybe things have changed since the last time I went into Maltose - I'll grant it's been a while. I remember the one time I went in, I had two things that turned me off: 1) I asked for some ideas on a recipe, based on a specific style I was interested in brewing. The person I spoke to handed me two books (they may have been published by Maltose, I'm not sure) and told to browse through, pick out a recipe, and come back and find her and she'd go and find the kit, at which point she wandered off to "help" someone else. Not very hands-on service. And 2), when I did finally find something that sounded interesting, the kit came to about $60 - at the time, similar kits on Northern Brewer were running $30-$40, so I was a little turned off. And to continue the bad/questionable service, I was advised (this is well before I knew better) to pick up a Wyeast Propagator pack (back when they still made these things), and make a starter to sit overnight... This would be a starter from about 30billion cells (less whatever the age of the pack had killed off), with roughly 18 hours growth, to innoculate 5 gallons of 1.060ish wort? It turned out to be a really slow ferment, and no wonder... Lucky it finished off at all.

Not sure of NB and the like have come up in price since then, or if you've come down, but the triple-whammy of lousy service, high prices, and bad advice turned me off to the point of my not returning.

Good Afternoon,
I am sorry you had a bad experience at our store. This is probably the worst and most bitter review we have received in the 23 years that we have been in business. We take these very seriously and will pass this around at our weekly meeting and talk about it and discuss how we can improve our service.
1) Service: It appears you came in on a busy day and we did not spend enough time with you. We currently have 7 people working on Saturdays and really try to spend quality time with each person. We often spend 30 minutes to an hour with customers reviewing and helping them with their recipes.
2) Price: Since we started selling online, we try hard to keep our prices as low as possible. While our grains, hops, yeast and equipment are great values, our clone kits are still more expensive than the cheap kits online. This is due the fact that we use a higher quality malt, the proper grains and the proper hops and liquid yeast. Before we started selling online, I purchased several of the cheap kits on line and made them. We try to only sell kits that will come out similar to the original beer and I cannot sell kits like these. We are starting our brewery this November and all our beers had their start with our kit recipes.
3) Yeast. We brew many beers and for any beer with an alcohol potential of less than 8% we still recommend simply using a Wyeast pack with 100 billion cells. We make starters for beers with larger OGs. I still recommend popping the yeast packet, adding the packet to a starter with malt in the 1.045 OG range once the packet it is fully swelled and letting the starter sit overnight and using it in the morning. If I cant use it in the morning, I put it into the refrigerator to keep it active. This has worked out very well for me in the past, but home brewing allows brewers to do whatever they like with their beer and their yeast.
4) Reviews like this truly upset my wife and I and we have tried hard for 23 years to be pleasant and helpful to customers.
Mark
Maltose Express

Mark,
Sorry - no bitterness was intended, I was just trying to relay my (admittedly limited) experience. For what it's worth, those Propagator Packs, as far as I know, are off the market now, so nobody can make that same mistake anymore, which can only be a good thing. Though if you're recommending that your customers pitch a single smack pack or vial of 100 billion cells for anything with less than an 8% alcohol potential - I'd humbly suggest you read a copy of Jamil's Yeast book, if you haven't already. It might cause you to adjust that stance a bit, as that's a pretty significant underpitch for most worts with a OG of over 1.050 (OG is key, not alcohol potential!).

Little things can make a good experience go bad. I have always had good service at Maltose. I was disappointed lately when I brought back a new aluminum (just purchased a maltose a month or so before) O2 tank for its first refill and was told they don't fill they swap. What I had brought back out to me was a nasty looking painted steel tank. I would think that buying a new aluminum tank would get swapped for a new aluminum tank. Disappointed and wondering why I wasted money there on a new tank in the first place. :-( Things like this can make people not return.

I don't think that all negative reviews are bitter. Sometimes people have good days and sometimes they have bad days. As long as there are more good than bad, then life is good I guess. I have heard lots of negative things over the years about Maltose, but other than the o2 tank life has been good. As for the o2 tank.. I guess it is just a lesson learned. You got me on that one. I wonder if my 'new' tank was sold to someone else as new...

wstbrewing

Good Afternoon,
I am sorry you had a bad experience at our store. This is probably the worst and most bitter review we have received in the 23 years that we have been in business. We take these very seriously and will pass this around at our weekly meeting and talk about it and discuss how we can improve our service.
1) Service: It appears you came in on a busy day and we did not spend enough time with you. We currently have 7 people working on Saturdays and really try to spend quality time with each person. We often spend 30 minutes to an hour with customers reviewing and helping them with their recipes.
2) Price: Since we started selling online, we try hard to keep our prices as low as possible. While our grains, hops, yeast and equipment are great values, our clone kits are still more expensive than the cheap kits online. This is due the fact that we use a higher quality malt, the proper grains and the proper hops and liquid yeast. Before we started selling online, I purchased several of the cheap kits on line and made them. We try to only sell kits that will come out similar to the original beer and I cannot sell kits like these. We are starting our brewery this November and all our beers had their start with our kit recipes.
3) Yeast. We brew many beers and for any beer with an alcohol potential of less than 8% we still recommend simply using a Wyeast pack with 100 billion cells. We make starters for beers with larger OGs. I still recommend popping the yeast packet, adding the packet to a starter with malt in the 1.045 OG range once the packet it is fully swelled and letting the starter sit overnight and using it in the morning. If I cant use it in the morning, I put it into the refrigerator to keep it active. This has worked out very well for me in the past, but home brewing allows brewers to do whatever they like with their beer and their yeast.
4) Reviews like this truly upset my wife and I and we have tried hard for 23 years to be pleasant and helpful to customers.
Mark
Maltose Express

Sorry about the CO2 tank return, you are right, when you bring in a new CO2 tank you should get a new CO2 tank in return. I would appreciate it if you would mention this when you get the tank rather than online later on. We try very hard and have spent a lot of time for little profit over the years trying to give great service. I will talk about this at our weekly meeting to ensure people get newer good looking CO2 tanks when they bring in a new tank. If you like, bring the ugly tank back and we will swap it with a newer nice looking tank for you. Until last week I charged the same for new tanks as for used tanks so we did not try to rip you off by giving you an older tank for your trade in. We try to give people the best price on tanks.
Mark
Maltose Express

I confess I am surprised. I don't think I've ever heard any bad reports about service at Maltose. I have always heard they are one of the best. I think the only criticism I've heard has been slightly higher prices, but I don't mind paying an extra $.20/lb for grain if I get good advice and good service. I have had nothing but top notch service from them and they have always been super helpful and patient, especially when I was just starting out. That said, I guess anyone can have an off day. As wstbrewing said, I would just look at the big picture.

I believe you guys give great service and have a fantastic selection. I recommend you guys regularly to people who want to get into home brewing.

You are right I should have mentioned it when I was there. I just thought it was standard practice and accepted it at the time. I was just disappointed because this was a tank purchased for a home brew system where everything is out in the open to be seen. So to start with a new pretty tank made it all look good. After a leak in the system, I had to refill it after only a few weeks and I was surprised. The biggest thing to me is how many people noticed the tank and questioned what happened to the 'great' looking one.

When the tank is empty I may take you up on the offer, I will return it and ask if I can get a newer looking tank for my system. To me these are little things. As mentioned before, service always has ups and downs. There are good and bad days for all of us.

After all these years Maltose not only has more good than bad, but also has a great track record of really helping new brewers. Keep up the good work.

wstbrewing

Sorry about the CO2 tank return, you are right, when you bring in a new CO2 tank you should get a new CO2 tank in return. I would appreciate it if you would mention this when you get the tank rather than online later on. We try very hard and have spent a lot of time for little profit over the years trying to give great service. I will talk about this at our weekly meeting to ensure people get newer good looking CO2 tanks when they bring in a new tank. If you like, bring the ugly tank back and we will swap it with a newer nice looking tank for you. Until last week I charged the same for new tanks as for used tanks so we did not try to rip you off by giving you an older tank for your trade in. We try to give people the best price on tanks.
Mark
Maltose Express

Latest posts

Back