How are these hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
I got a buddy who bought a house and the past resident was a home brewer and grew his own cascade hops. Well my buddy dried them out over the weekend and put them in ziplock bags and left them in a hot car for a few hrs on accident and they went from green to greenish brown. My question for all you hop growers is, are these still pretty good to use? Should I keep em in the fridge freeze the rest? Also heard you should use some pellets too to cut down on the bitterness of fresh hops??? Each bag is about 2oz of hops. Thanks for the help guys,

image-4144107139.jpg

image-1654345084.jpg

In all honesty they look fine. Do a smell test and also a taste test. I am convinced that they will still be dine to use. Freeze them and use them first.

Cool, thanks a lot. I need to get my brew on, is there a big difference cooking with whole hops rather than pellets?

Cool, thanks a lot. I need to get my brew on, is there a big difference cooking with whole hops rather than pellets?

Not really, other than the fact they usually have different AA between full hop leafs and pellets so you may have to use more leaf to get the same bitterness..but you have no clue what the AA is anyways im presuming so it doesnt matter.

Personally i prefer to strain them out going to the fermenter, some leave them in...

Back