Diving into All Grain from Extract, What grain should I buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrrrkva

Reaction score
Was going to put in a pretty big order of grain. I was an Extract brewer and moving to ALL grain.... I like APA's (real hoppy) and also like fruitier beers for the ladies. I did ok with wheat beers for the fruitier. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I should buy for a base? I know I need to get some 2 row.... What hops are good for base. Any suggestions?

For what you are looking to do, you can probably get away with getting standard 2 row pale malt. If you want something lighter, you could get pilsner malt, but it will typically increase the length of your overall brew day. As for hops, I would suggest some cascade for what you are looking to do. But, Citra, Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe (if you can find it) would probably all work as well. They all lend a general citrusy flavor/aroma. But Cascade is probably the cheapest and most readily available.

Additionally, you'll need wheat to do a wheat beer. Some guys like to add munich or vienna to their APA's. Carapils and some light to medium roast caramel malts are very versatile and can be used in lots of beers.

Back