Does this look right: 3 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
Long story short, I want to make an AG Pumpkin Ale, but I need to do mini BIAG due to equipment restraints (plus, I don't want 2 cases of something I may not like).

I found the following 3 gallon recipe for Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, and I'm wondering if this looks right to you. I sourced it from here.

Also, the pumpkin ale calls for Safale US-04 yeast, but right before I make this I'm going to make the Speckled Heifer Ale from Northern Brewer which uses Safale US-05. I was wondering if you'd think it'd be okay to throw the Pumpkin Ale right on top of the yeast cake from the Speckled Heifer Ale, or is there a huge difference between the two types of yeast and I should stick to what is called for?

Is it best to put the spices in as a tea in secondary?

Would this recipe taste okay if I omit the pumpkin?

Thanks! :mug:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (3 gallon batch)
4.20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.00 lbs Caramel 60L
0.50 lbs Biscuit Malt
0.20 lbs Flaked Wheat
2.50 cans (15 oz cans) of Canned Pumpkin
0.50 oz Kent Goldings 7.20% (60 mins)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 mins)
0.15 oz Ground Ginger (12 mins)
.3 tsp Ground Cloves (5 mins)
.3 tsp Nutmeg (5 mins)
.6 tsp Allspice (5 mins)
.6 tsp Cinnamon (5 mins)

Target OG = 1.057
Target FG = 1.015
OG = 1.058
FG = 1.012
IBU = 22.6
ABV = 6.0%

Mash at 158ºF (I only hit 152ºF, so it might just be a little less sweet as there will be more fermentables present in the beer).

------------------------------------------------------------------

The recipe wasn't mine, as I found it on HBT, but this was actually from my blog :). The spice flavor was intense on clove and pretty well blended, but boiling it did not get as much ginger/sweet cinnamon. Adding a tea will give you more control over taste, but I'd have no problem adding to the boil again.

You can omit the pumpkin, but I wouldn't as it's a pumpkin beer. The spices blend very well with the pumpkin/crystal to really make a good fall beer. I think they would be out of place without it.

US05 will make a fine beer. S04 will make the beer a little fruitier and maybe a tad sweeter, I'm not sure on attenuation numbers.

Overall I thought it turned out great and I'm going to be making my own 5 gallon version in a month or two for fall. Hope this helps.

I think you'll be fine with S-05. You probably won't get much character from S-05, but that's one of its more beneficial traits :)

The recipe wasn't mine, as I found it on HBT, but this was actually from my blog :). The spice flavor was intense on clove and pretty well blended, but boiling it did not get as much ginger/sweet cinnamon. Adding a tea will give you more control over taste, but I'd have no problem adding to the boil again.

You can omit the pumpkin, but I wouldn't as it's a pumpkin beer. The spices blend very well with the pumpkin/crystal to really make a good fall beer. I think they would be out of place without it.

US05 will make a fine beer. S04 will make the beer a little fruitier and maybe a tad sweeter, I'm not sure on attenuation numbers.

Overall I thought it turned out great and I'm going to be making my own 5 gallon version in a month or two for fall. Hope this helps.

Thanks! And thank you for posting this on your blog, it was *exactly* what I'd been looking for in terms of batch size and flavors. Hmmm, those fruity/sweet notes are probably really good in this beer though, so I may just by a pack. It's only a couple extra bucks anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

Back