Fermenting 10g batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
What is everyone using for fermenting 10g batches? Right now i'm just using two carboys, would like to ferment all in one though, show me the way:)

Has anybody here actually used one of those from U.S. Plastics yet? I've been thinking of getting one and trying it out hoping it works well for me.

Seriously though, I use 2 carboys, too. I don't plan on spending the cash just so I can ferment them together. Maybe I just haven't "seen the light".

Lil' Sparky said:
Sanitized trash can? ;)

I thought I'd give some background on my original post...

The old timer who owned the LHBS I used to go to would tell me how they used to ferment wine or beer in rubbermaid trash cans when he was starting out. He would laugh at how much some people get into their gadgetry when it doesn't necessarily make better beer in the end. I think Papazian still takes a minimalist approach when it comes to brewing, too.

I may try the trash can someday (a new, clean and sanitized one of course) and see how it turns out. I think some breweries still ferment in open vessels. I'd probably use plastic wrap or a clean towel or something to keep nasties or bugs from getting in.

neckbone said:
That looks like a great bucket. Did you add the side port? Did you just drill a hole for airlock in the top? I assume the top is screw on and airtight?

That is not mine, but I have one on order. The tops are air tight and screw on. I plan on fitting mine with a blow off tube and a port for co2 in for racking, plus the bottom port.

Here is a thread about them from the green board: http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=62107

JeepGuy said:
Has anybody here actually used one of those from U.S. Plastics yet? I've been thinking of getting one and trying it out hoping it works well for me.
I have gotten the 15g tank. Have spent a lot of time worrying about the bottom. It has a 2" bulkhead fitting at the bottom and I have tried several ways to get to a 1" valve. I have decided to use threaded reducer, nipple and valve to make it simple, but guess I'm going to have to dissasemble each time I clean it or will forever worry about contamination. The bottom fitting also sticks up about a 1/2" so it may prove hard to clean without disassembly. I'm getting close to trying it out. I have it sitting with water in it now for leak check. I also put a 1/2" port in the tank to fill and tap off for kegging.

At this point I wouldn't recommend this tank for those concerns, but hope I'm wrong.

JeepGuy said:

I got the one from Plastic Mart since it was a little cheaper than US Plastic. It is also MDPE like the one from US Plastic. So far I have washed it and put a 2" treaded male in the bottom then a reducer from 2" to 3/4", a short section of pipe, an elbow, another short section of pipe then a ball valve. Next I plan on sanitizing it and putting in 10 gal. of water then let it sit for a couple of weeks to see if the water picks up any off flavor from the plastic.

I figure if nothing else I can use it to store bulk grain or sanitizing solution. But I'm hopeful that it will make a good primary. It looks like it will be very easy to take apart for cleaning and sanitation.

I've used a 15.5g SS keg (golden gate style) with the top cut for fermenting 12g batches. I just float a pie tin upside down in the moat around the top hole. Honestly, the thing weighs so much full that more often than not I will just split it into two 6.5g carboys to avoid the heavy lifting. If I had a pump, though...

best damn $24 primary EVER! I currently have 12.5 gallons in mine... 14.7gallon total volume with the lid on.

IMG_6153.JPG

These 30 gallon fermenters cost me about $75 each. I got the pool filters for free, paid $35 each for 3 gallon cornies to chop up and $40 (plus beer) to have them welded.

The only drawback is that they are a LOT of work to put together....
Secondary1.jpg

Back