Home made mash-tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
whats a quick easy and cheap way to make a mash tun at home? I have seen a couple with the copper tubing in the bottom. I am currently using this

javascript:zoomDEV(%20'/I/img_big/05102008101654.jpg',%20'zoomImg',%20'Cooler%20Bag'%20);

and the boil in a bag method for mashing my malt

Cooler + CPVC + Brass ball valve + a washer + 2 O rings+ plumbers tape (in case leakage) + whatever else you wanna add.

refer to my profile videos and or goto youtube searching for Chris Knight All Grain Brewing.:mug:

Dude, I have made two of these, and they are so easy and cheap. Since it's the end of summer, you can find coolers cheap.
Check this link.
http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm

Te latest one I made was from a Coleman cooler and the hole was bigger than the last one, so I had to use the 3/8" High temperature tubing. It has a thicker wall.

is a place like lowes going to have all those parts? I looked on their website and couldnt find a lot of it.

I got everything that I needed from Home Depot, except for the stainless steel fender washers. Those I had to get at fastenal. Check www.fastenal.com for locations.

Lowes should have all the parts as well. Don't look online. Go to the store with your list of parts and ask someone.

I used this one from the site, as have many others. Lots of good trouble shooting and improvements to the tun throughout the life of the thread.

I bought a set of step drill bits at Harbor Freight($9) and used them on some big stainless steel washers I bought at Home Depot to get the proper diameter for my
mash/hlt's! (they also worked great for adding a valve and sight glass to my kettle)

Now I can convert hundreds of mash tuns and never have to worry about washers not fitting! Gotta love Harbor Freight!

Back