What about dry hopping in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marius

Reaction score
I'm brewing an IPA I would like to dry hop, but as I'm not a fan of secondary ferementers I thought that after the first two weeks of fermentation I could simply open the lid and throw inside 50 grams of hops in flower, then let it sit for one more week.

What do you think of this method?

Thanks

There's some motivation to toss in your hops just as fermentation is completing so that any oxygen you introduce will be consumed in the final moments of the fermenting yeast. The opposition will claim that all your hop aroma will be scrubbed off by suspended CO2 coming out of solution, but that can easily be countered by a larger dry hop addition. Also, those who do dry hopping really well tend to cool the fermenter after adding the dry hops to drop the yeast. Some even cold crash before dry hopping and report very good results.

Do it all the time. It's a LITTLE less effective than racking to secondary, but you need to do a side-by-side to even notice.

Back