Pumpkin Spice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broadbeer

Reaction score
Anyone else try a pumpkin spice ale? I searched the forum, there's not a whole lot posted on using the pumpkin spice (spice) as an ingredient.

What kind of information are you looking for? If you search "pumpkin ale", a ton of recipes come up and there are multiple threads covering the topic since a lot of people make this beer (me included) every fall. What specifically do you want to know?

It should work in a winter warmer. I know Northern Brewer has a kit which has plenty of spices including cinnamon, allspice and clove, which are probably parts of pumpkin spice. You may want to blend in the spices after fermentation is complete to make sure you don't get too much spice flavor. Or at flameout, or at 15 minutes left. Different people will tell you differently.

What kind of information are you looking for? QUOTE]

I assumed that you served so
thanks for serving our country!
I only found one post on using the spice without the use of actual pumpkin. Basically it said that using too much can create an off flavor and might affect the fermentation. I did one this past weekend using .05oz of the spice, vanilla extract, raisins, and orange peel. It smells awesome. It fermented for about 3 days, not the kind of fermentation I'm used to seeing with a liquid English Ale yeast. I didn't take an FG reading, but seeing the fermentation, I don't have high hopes that the reading will be anywhere close to where I want it to be. I jiggled it lightly this morning to wake up the little buggers. It was completely dead this morning when I checked it.

Well sounds like you are leaning more towards a spiced beer, not particularly a pumpkin spice or pumpkin ale. Most people avoid the "Pumpkin Spice" product and use individual spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Some people add allspice, but I didn't like it the one time I used it. Actual pumpkin is not really necessary, but you can use it.

I add my spices with 5 minutes left in the boil. Start with a tsp each if you are worried about over spicing and adjust from there. I use tsp of ginger, tsp of nutmeg, and 2tsp of cinnamon in my recipe.

Base beers differ. I like to use a brown ale. I feel the maltiness compliments the spices well. I only add bittering hops in the beginning of the boil.

I add my spices with 5 minutes left in the boil. Start with a tsp each if you are worried about over spicing and adjust from there. I use tsp of ginger, tsp of nutmeg, and 2tsp of cinnamon in my recipe.
How did it turn out? Was the fermentation normal?
The only thing I'm really worried about is the short ferment. Maybe I'll try re-pitching this weekend. Thanks for the feedback.

I've never heard anything about spices affecting fermentation. Fermentation can certainly finish in 3 days, sometimes less. Take a gravity reading before you re-pitch. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and it turned out great. The only difference this year is I've always used pumpkin and this year I am not going to use it.

Usually us MP's don't like you jumpers but you're alright :D
I'll definitely take a reading before I re-pitch. Thanks for the advice!

I made the AHB pumpkin ale kit a couple of months ago. It is still a little too young to comment on it. It will taste better with a couple more weeks.

I didn't realize it was so hard to find tins of pumpkin. I guess that there was a crop shortage last year. I had to search online and eventually found some tins reasonably priced from a healthfood store. All my local grocery stores were totally out of everything except the pumpkin pie stuff in a tin.

I've done pumpkin beers both way - w/ and w/o actual canned pumpkin. I won't use it again - I've determined nothing is gained from using it. I'll stick to the spice load alone, as that's all that is detectable (at least when i brew my annual pumpkin brew).

I've done pumpkin beers both way - w/ and w/o actual canned pumpkin. I won't use it again - I've determined nothing is gained from using it. I'll stick to the spice load alone, as that's all that is detectable (at least when i brew my annual pumpkin brew).

Thinking about working on a pumpkin brew after get done with my current brew. I was having problems finding pumpkin right now anyway. Has anyone else decided not to use pumpkin in the brew?

Back